Diving CT

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TyGuy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
So ive dove all around new england but havent dove much in my home state of CT (bigelow hollow) but never found a good spot in the sound. I was kayaking this past friday near lighthouse park in East Haven and the vis didnt seem that bad (about 10 ft) and ive gone fishing/kayaking near bluff point and always wondered what the diving was like. anyone with any knowledge of dive-able spots along the CT coast or interesting lake diving spots? thanks

-Ty

Talk to Noel at orbit marine. He puts a good spin on it. Hasn't convinced me yet though. The sound is only good for groveling in the mud.

I imagine the best viz will be nearest the source of clean sea water (ie: the Race). I did Stonington Point many years ago and it wasn't bad at all. Also, Green Falls Reservoir used to have incredible viz, but again I haven't been there in was 5 years.

A boat is the answer. Fisher Island although officially NY is a nice dive. There you’ll find the Olinda a wreck in about 20-30fsw, usually nice vis (we can see the boilers while standing in the boat some days). There is also a ledge/underwater reef just off shore from the Olinda that sports fish, bugs and crabs. Westerly RI has the Onondaga on the RI CT “line” at Westerly Reef.
Shore diving in CT I think is a non-starter. I know of no one that shore dives in CT.

I have a buddy that has his boat in Noak. We dive around Fisher Island, off Stonington -White Rock, off Watch Hill (Onadaga + a few other spots) all around Block Island. A few times from the boat off the CT shore but it wasn't that good - timing it a key factor.

Does anyone know the name of that wrecked barge immediately off the town beach? Is that the Onadaga?

Does anyone know the name of that wrecked barge immediately off the town beach? Is that the Onadaga?

No, the Daga wasn't a barge. She ran on to Westerly Reef about a mile from shore. She's in about 50fsw. Diveable only at the slack. I use my wreck reel to stay on the wreck. A compass doesn't work well around the wreck and if the slack ends early the line will get me back to the anchor line by crawling along the bottom. Once that slack ends I want to be out of the water and if I have the misfortune to be in the water I'll want to get back to the anchor line quick.

The only barge off a town beach that I know of is off Narragansett town beach. I don't know it's name. It can be seen on Goggle Earth. Also the ledge/underwater reef off Fisher Island can be seen on Goggle earth.

I plan on diving at Eastern Point Beach in Groton this weekend in the afternoon. Jamestown is another good dive site in Rhode Island.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

Eastern Point and Stonington point are both fun. Broct, I might see you out there on Saturday or Sunday, depending on how the weather turns this weekend. Jamestown is also nice, but a long way to go.

Eastern Point and Stonington point are both fun. Broct, I might see you out there on Saturday or Sunday, depending on how the weather turns this weekend. Jamestown is also nice, but a long way to go.

I've been on Noels boat a few times going out of captains cove in bridgeport CT and although it isnt the most exciting dive I have had a good time every trip. The people are great and captains cove always has nice cold drinks after the trip is done.
I've only been to Penfield Reef with them but have seen some lobster, and nice striper, bluefish, and blackfish out there. Too me it's better than not going diving at all and as a solo diver i'll take that over nothing at all.
i would be interested in trying some new spot alond the CT shoreline too. I also like going to Rockport Ma and doing shore dives there. Great little town with alot of charm.

---------- Post added at 01:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:53 PM ----------

I've been on Noels boat a few times going out of captains cove in bridgeport CT and although it isnt the most exciting dive I have had a good time every trip. The people are great and captains cove always has nice cold drinks after the trip is done.
I've only been to Penfield Reef with them but have seen some lobster, and nice striper, bluefish, and blackfish out there. Too me it's better than not going diving at all and as a solo diver i'll take that over nothing at all.
i would be interested in trying some new spot alond the CT shoreline too. I also like going to Rockport Ma and doing shore dives there. Great little town with alot of charm.

Im sorry for always replying with a quote, I cant seem to do so without one. Has anyone ever dove around Ram Island in Noank CT? I was just looking at the satelite and saw that it was a island close to land that may be fun for a few dives.
I live in Milford CT and am always looking for people to dive with since My friends no longer dive and it gets a little pricy to go out on a charter all the time. Plus diving alone is getting rather boring. So if anyone is interested im up to travel to new places and check out new areas. I just got into diving last year and only have about a dozen or so dives under my belt.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom