Diving Cuba

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ramehrer

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Looking for anyone who has been to Cuba in 2009 and can give some input into the best area to dive and any dive shop experiences. Looking for fun diving, all are experienced divers with minimum of a DM cert.
THANKS!:wink:

Hey ramehrer, I dove the south side of Cuba last year at the Sierra Mar resort ... great time, wonderful dive shop staff. Lots of reefs both deep water and snorkeling. You can take the catamaran ride towards Santiago and dive/snorkel to the wreck of Almirante Oquendo, and Spanish galleon scuttled during the Spanish American war. This wreck is partially out of water and is very near shore. Two other wrecks are near by, so alternate arrangements can be made to dive those.
I am returning to Club Bucanero just down the shoreline this year (leaving in a few days). I am planning to do more diving with them, as they are also know for excellent reef diving. Apparently some wrecks nearby, but not sure which ones.

Hey HD Diver,
How about a report after your trip? I'm going to dive in Cuba next winter and just not sure where. Any info greatly appreciated.

Not trying to hijack, just curious if anyone has dove = Los Jardines de la Reina (The Queen's Gardens)? Supposed to be a very healthy marine park area but the dive ops sites seem to paint too rosy of a picture...

Fantastic coral diving ... lots of marine life! Club Bucanero has it's own little cove to enter from so mostly shore diving, but wonderful dive sites. DM's were great ... I had a DM to myself and we did 5 dives including a night dive and a wreck dive ... a mid-sized Cuban cargo ship laying on it's side (max depth was 42M).

Diving at the Sierra Mar is great, we have been twice and will definitely go back. We are going to Cuba in June and had hoped to go to Sierra Mar ajnd organize a trip to the wreck of the Cristobol Colon, but Sierra Mar is closing for the summer in mid May. So looks like we will be going to the Club Amigo Carisol. Any info anyone has on diving there would be appreciated.

While we were in Cuba a few weeks ago we were told that Sierra Mar lost their entire beach in the storms last summer ... hence their closing this year early. I believe they are rebuilding the beach, but that will be an enormous task!

Back
Top Bottom