Diving death in Jamaica?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Capt Tom McCarthy

SF2/rEvo/Tempest Dive Boat
ScubaBoard Business Sponsor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
A friend's asked me to find out about this so bear with me. She said a close friend's son died diving late last week while on vacation in Jamaica. He was apparently in his late twenties and she says he may have had a seizure underwater. Does anyone know anything about this? Thanks.

any more info? like a name? resort name? resort area (Negril, etc), who they were diving with/

I didn't find anything in Google searching for recent events. but at the same time most places in Jamaica don't advertise news of dead tourists... it's bad for business...

any more info? like a name? resort name? resort area (Negril, etc), who they were diving with/

I didn't find anything in Google searching for recent events. but at the same time most places in Jamaica don't advertise news of dead tourists... it's bad for business...

I monitor the Jamacia papers for work reasons. Also have dove there many many times. The Gleaner and the Observer don't shy away from reporting the news. Last year there were over 1,000 murders in Kingston and their media covered those deaths in detail. If that doesn't scare away tourists why would a media outlet shy away from reporting on the accidental death of a visitor?
If the visitor had arrived on a cruise ship and was there for only a day, it is quite possible the media might have ignored the death because those accidents are often viewed as a cruise ship death rather than an island death.
I would suggest that if there if there was a story generated about the accidental death of a tourist, it might have appeared in print only (because a large number of residents don't have access to high speed internet).

I monitor the Jamacia papers for work reasons. Also have dove there many many times. The Gleaner and the Observer don't shy away from reporting the news. Last year there were over 1,000 murders in Kingston and their media covered those deaths in detail.

I'd say most tourist stay clear of Kingston, unless they are flying in on a larger plane (747, etc). Otherwise most arrive in Montego Bay, stay between Mo Bay and Negril or Ocho Rios.

but watching the Kingston 10pm (or 11pm) news is always interesting to me. Those TV reporters there are brave souls... .they get right in the middle of the gunfights of the gangs...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom