Equipment Gas toxicity blamed for Chinese fatality - Batangas, Philipines

This Thread Prefix is for incidents caused by equipment failures including personal dive gear, compressors, analyzers, or odd things like a ladder.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is there any portable diver-friendly CO detector in production currently?

Yeah, I'd be curious to know that myself.
There were a couple available, I had both over time, one by Analox and I forget the other brand, and they were great, but both companies dropped out of the market. OxyCheq made one that was well regarded, but it's been out of stock for over a year so maybe won't be back.

I make do with a Sensorcon pocket alarm. It will give results below 10 ppm with enough accuracy to keep you from being hurt. It'd require frequent calibrating if you wanted accuracy enough to serve as a courtroom witness, but its software is self-calibrating enough to avoid dangerous risks for up to two years. I send mine in for servicing that will include a new sensor, new battery, and new calibration every two years adhering a sticker with the last update noted. Some hook a small diameter air tube to a regulator to blow tank air into the unit for tank testing, but I really think the extra air pressure will throw it off so I turn mine on, drop it in a one-gallon ziplock, fill the bag, close it, and wait a minute for a reading. The drawback is you risk sucking motor exhaust into the bag for a false positive, so you need to develop skills. You also need heavy-duty ziplocks and a new bag every day as leaks interfere the one minute wait.

Tmassey gives a lengthy but informative discussion leading to his brand suggestion, but I am not sure which unit works for tank testing or exactly how so you might want to ask him. See Forensic Detectors Carbon Monoxide (CO) Detector Review

There were a couple available, I had both over time, one by Analox and I forget the other brand, and they were great, but both companies dropped out of the market. OxyCheq made one that was well regarded, but it's been out of stock for over a year so maybe won't be back.

I make do with a Sensorcon pocket alarm. It will give results below 10 ppm with enough accuracy to keep you from being hurt. It'd require frequent calibrating if you wanted accuracy enough to serve as a courtroom witness, but its software is self-calibrating enough to avoid dangerous risks for up to two years. I send mine in for servicing that will include a new sensor, new battery, and new calibration every two years adhering a sticker with the last update noted. Some hook a small diameter air tube to a regulator to blow tank air into the unit for tank testing, but I really think the extra air pressure will throw it off so I turn mine on, drop it in a one-gallon ziplock, fill the bag, close it, and wait a minute for a reading. The drawback is you risk sucking motor exhaust into the bag for a false positive, so you need to develop skills. You also need heavy-duty ziplocks and a new bag every day as leaks interfere the one minute wait.

Tmassey gives a lengthy but informative discussion leading to his brand suggestion, but I am not sure which unit works for tank testing or exactly how so you might want to ask him. See Forensic Detectors Carbon Monoxide (CO) Detector Review
thank you for the answer, but if I sum it up correctly there's absolutely nothing right now on the market, designed and convenient for testing scuba tank on site...

讲个真实的笑话,我曾经职教过程中,
理论课堂
为学生OW课程讲解潜水铝合金气瓶中是填充压缩空气的。
我学生当场质问我,是不是为了压缩成本才不给他填充纯氧气的。
我只能说,“好吧,既然你这样问了,我们就只能暂时跳过现在的内容,先讲氧气中毒的危害这个章节了。。。”
在中国,对于没学过潜水的普罗大众而言,大家认为气瓶内就应该填充氧气,因为大家喜欢叫AL80这样的气瓶为“氧气瓶”
-----------------------------------------------------

To tell a true joke, I once had a career in vocational education,

Theoretical Classroom

Explain to students in the OW course that the diving aluminum alloy gas cylinder is filled with compressed air.

My student asked me on the spot if I didn't fill him with pure oxygen just to reduce costs.

I can only say, "Okay, since you're asking like this, we can only temporarily skip the current content and start with the chapter on the hazards of oxygen poisoning."

In China, for the general public who have not learned diving, it is believed that the gas cylinder should be filled with oxygen, because people like to call a gas cylinder like AL80 an "oxygen cylinder"

Seems like a combo O2/CO analyzer would be a good product if accurate not crazy expensive.
It's been tried. The company that made and sold it went out of business.

Is there any portable diver-friendly CO detector in production currently?

Yeah, I'd be curious to know that myself.

Look for "general" gas industry analyzers for cylinders, not "scuba" branded ones.
This is for example what I am using:

1714380736617.jpeg
1714380711301.png

You can even get the T-piece attachment (plus other accessories, including CO filled cylinders for calibration)
Pretty sure there are companies specializing in gas measuring equipment in US as well, just look around and don't get too fixated on the "scuba" label :wink:

Look for "general" gas industry analyzers for cylinders, not "scuba" branded ones.
This is for example what I am using:

View attachment 838832View attachment 838831

You can even get the T-piece attachment (plus other accessories, including CO filled cylinders for calibration)
Pretty sure there are companies specializing in gas measuring equipment in US as well, just look around and don't get too fixated on the "scuba" label :wink:
Not fixated on the scuba label, just looking for something convenient. I remember oxy analysers custom made with multimeters... Worked, but can't say it was really convenient when being used on site.

The one you show here seems handy though.

Not fixated on the scuba label, just looking for something convenient. I remember oxy analysers custom made with multimeters... Worked, but can't say it was really convenient when being used on site.

The one you show here seems handy though.

Well problem is scuba industry is simply too tiny for anybody to bother with a dedicated CO "scuba" meter...There might be small demand for O2, smaller for He, but CO is a white unicorn more or less.
On the other hand I suspect there is plenty of those on the market for general industry...but most of the companies may not be particularly known to the public and/or may not even advertise/sell to private customers.

On the other hand I suspect there is plenty of those on the market for general industry...but most of the companies may not be particularly known to the public and/or may not even advertise/sell to private customers.
My predicament described to a T. Bravo !

Back
Top Bottom