Equipment Gas toxicity blamed for Chinese fatality - Batangas, Philipines

This Thread Prefix is for incidents caused by equipment failures including personal dive gear, compressors, analyzers, or odd things like a ladder.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My guess I suppose, taken from " Li encountered oxygen toxicity, the police report said." I doubt that the report is accurate enough to say.
So you think the report is inaccurate, so you are looking for a different reason for which there is no evidence whatsoever? What makes you think the report is inaccurate?

My first inclination is also to question oxygen toxicity, but I have no reason from what was presented to question it. They seem pretty sure about it. I would question it because the only cases of conformed oxygen toxicity I know of were on technical dives. Was this a technical Dive? They don't say. They don't say much at all.

In the past, I have challenged people to find cases of divers suffering oxygen toxicity on a NDL dive, especially with an AL 80 tank. The only examples anyone gave me were cases in which there was no known cause of death, and someone speculated oxygen toxicity, despite the fact that the dive was within normal MODs. The problem with oxygen toxicity is that it does not leave a trace in the body, so a diagnosis depends upon observing the experience and/or seeing a violation of MOD. Maybe that happened in this case. We don't know.

So you think the report is inaccurate, so you are looking for a different reason for which there is no evidence whatsoever? What makes you think the report is inaccurate?

My first inclination is also to question oxygen toxicity, but I have no reason from what was presented to question it. They seem pretty sure about it. I would question it because the only cases of conformed oxygen toxicity I know of were on technical dives. Was this a technical Dive? They don't say. They don't say much at all.

In the past, I have challenged people to find cases of divers suffering oxygen toxicity on a NDL dive, especially with an AL 80 tank. The only examples anyone gave me were cases in which there was no known cause of death, and someone speculated oxygen toxicity, despite the fact that the dive was within normal MODs. The problem with oxygen toxicity is that it does not leave a trace in the body, so a diagnosis depends upon observing the experience and/or seeing a violation of MOD. Maybe that happened in this case. We don't know.
Don't dive computers have records of the ppo2 levels along with the dive profile in their logs? I just looked at my downloaded dives and ppo2 is graphed. I dive an older G2.

我认为。至少保证空压机附近没有启动中的汽车,避免使用燃油空压机。是非常有效的手段。
LOL.
Many diving boats are filling the tanks while motoring! It is the the position of the air inlet that is critical.

Don't dive computers have records of the ppo2 levels along with the dive profile in their logs? I just looked at my downloaded dives and ppo2 is graphed. I dive an older G2.
For open circuit, that PPO2 level the computer reports (and alerts) is based on whatever gas you configured ahead of the dive. If that's incorrect, so will the logs.

For open circuit, that PPO2 level the computer reports (and alerts) is based on whatever gas you configured ahead of the dive. If that's incorrect, so will the logs.
That is true however the depth profile is there too. It's possible the person just simply went too deep for the gas they were breathing.

That is true however the depth profile is there too. It's possible the person just simply went too deep for the gas they were breathing.
But we don't know.

What most people don't realize is that just straying below your MOD is not a problem. It takes time. Every confirmed oxygen toxicity case I know of features significant time spent well below MOD.

But we don't know.

What most people don't realize is that just straying below your MOD is not a problem. It takes time. Every confirmed oxygen toxicity case I know of features significant time spent well below MOD.
In that case I don't feel so bad about straying down to 121 FSW on N32 while battling with the biggest lion fish I have ever shot. :) They don't always go down easy.

Is there any portable diver-friendly CO detector in production currently?

Yeah, I'd be curious to know that myself.

Reporters conflating air and oxygen as tank gas is nothing new, oxygen toxicity could easily be bad air. This would give me reason to question it.
Yeah, it's not like we haven't seen many incident reports in a news article where the reporter used a term that was inaccurate for scuba diving. And although they think it means the same thing, to us, it takes on a whole new, and confusing, meaning.

Back
Top Bottom