Diving Deaths, Boynton Beach....PBP News

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KBeck

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Just noted this article in today's newspaper. Sad.

Scubakevdm and Capt. Lynn, hats off to your efforts. My sympathies for the unfortunate ending.

Diving outing near Boynton inlet turns deadly for 2
By Jennifer Sorentrue

Palm Beach Post Staff Writer

Sunday, April 16, 2006

A man and a woman died Saturday afternoon in a diving accident near the Boynton Beach Inlet, Palm Beach County Sheriff's Office spokesman Paul Miller said.

Police and Coast Guard officials received a Mayday call at about 4 p.m. from a boat captain who said he saw the divers floating in distress about a mile south of the inlet.

The divers, whose names were not released, sunk into the water as the captain tried to help, Miller said.

The sheriff's office, the Coast Guard, and private vessels searched for the pair for about an hour and a half.

At 5:30 p.m., Kevin Metz found a swimming fin floating in the water about a mile north of where the pair was reported missing.

Metz, who works for Splashdown Divers out of Boynton Beach, dived into the water and found the divers about 45 feet below the surface, Miller said.

The two were tangled in rope, and Miller said one of the divers was not wearing a buoyance control device, which allows a diver to remain at a constant depth or to descend or ascend in a controlled way.

The two were diving from a 22-foot Wellcraft.

The captain of that boat appeared to be inexperienced, and the boat was taking on water, Miller said. Sheriff's deputies boarded the boat and took control of it, he said.

Palm Beach County Fire-Rescue had two units waiting on shore when the rescue boat came in, said Deputy Chief Steve Delai. CPR was already in progress.

The divers were taken to JFK Medical Center in Atlantis, where they were pronounced dead.

The sheriff's office is investigating the incident.

What I dont understand is that the divemaster has given a report to the newspaper giving details of the condition of the equipement worn,is this correct to do so?
Should he have said nothing other than an investigation is underway to determin
the cause of death , according to PADI anyway.
I am not critisizing what is a very dificult thing to have to deal with .

duncan1958:
What I dont understand is that the divemaster has given a report to the newspaper giving details of the condition of the equipement worn,is this correct to do so?
Should he have said nothing other than an investigation is underway to determin
the cause of death , according to PADI anyway.
I am not critisizing what is a very dificult thing to have to deal with .
I noticed that as well - it does come off like a white Bronco IMO, which is another reason to avoid doing so.

If he's a PADI DM he broke one of the biggest rules in the Rescue diver book. Never say anything that ain't a fact, and never say IMO. But I wasn't there, and even if he did stick to the facts, we all know reporters will take artistic license to jazz up a story, so what was said may not resemble in the slightest what was published.

Come on folks. A guy pulls off a recovery for no personal gain whatsoever. The divers were not diving on the boat that the DM works for. He went in (at risk to himself) to search for and recover people that he didn't know. Monday morning quarterbacking is not appropriate in some issues. I believe the PADI standards relate to divers under the jurisdiction of the DM, not attempts to recover other divers. These guys were diving (and dying) on their own.

Cheers,
Jamie

Divesherpa:
Come on folks. A guy pulls off a recovery for no personal gain whatsoever. The divers were not diving on the boat that the DM works for. He went in (at risk to himself) to search for and recover people that he didn't know. Monday morning quarterbacking is not appropriate in some issues. I believe the PADI standards relate to divers under the jurisdiction of the DM, not attempts to recover other divers. These guys were diving (and dying) on their own.

Cheers,
Jamie

Right on Jamie!

Yes people, lets show some consideration to our friends here. Kevin didn't ask for this task. I'm certain he didn't rehearse an interview. Let him have some peace, he's not the bad man here. No one was.

and my hats off to Kevin for his effort.He is one of us folks, and if something like this happened to me I feel better knowing there are some among us who would risk injury to themselves for my sake. Bravo Kevin! May the Good Lord give peace to the victims family.
Chris

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom