Diving depths - with kids

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Most and I say most kids have no resepect of danger...I have a teenage son that is certified and they and some adults that I have seen pay no attention to dehydration, proper sleep etc... before the dive. I keep him above 50 feet.

You may want to consider the Keys and/or Southern Florida, Lots of shallow reef/old destroyed wrecks (NOT the Speigal Grove/Duane/Bib) Like City of Washington and Benwood.

In my experience, the kids and adults that do not respect danger have not had enough.

but yes, I agree, keep kids at conservative depths.

Thanks again for the suggestions (to all). I will add Southern Fl and the Keys to our "check out" list - and double check the hurricane damage to Bonaire. A lady from our local dive shop is heading there in 2 weeks (staying at Buddy Dive), so I'll await her response when she returns. This will be her 5th trip there so she ought to be able to compare pretty well.

St Johns and BVI are still possibilities too...

As far as diving in the St Lawrence is concerned, my kids are only going shore diving for a day (2 dives) - with us - and a guide. They've been shore swimming in the St Lawrence since they were in diapers (literally). Granted, they won't see as much as doing a wreck, but it's better than nothing. I fully agree with the current in that river that youngsters (or poor swimmers) would need to be superbly careful. I'd hate to pick them up at the dam.

With regards to danger - and taking care - I definitely think our kids will do fine. My middle son ran out of air on his first pool (certification) dive. He didn't do what most would and aim for the top. He went over to one of our instructors, signaled out of air - and buddy breathed with her up - exactly as he should have. He was 11 at the time and this was his first pool dive - ever. We (his parents) were already out of the pool having completed our exercises for the day. The instructors were just finishing some extras with the kids - and were extremely proud of him and his reaction to the event.

I'm fully aware that many kids - even older kids - aren't mature enough to handle diving. I do, after all, teach in high school and I see many of them that I wouldn't trust taking a message to the office! Many are couch potatoes and always look for the easy/quick way, etc. Video games tend to be a #1 activity...

With our kids, they don't even particularly like video games and we seldom watch TV. They've been brought up outside - swimming, camping, doing "real" hiking - sometimes on dangerous trails. Riding their ponies is probably more dangerous than scuba - though both can be dangerous as can be some of those more difficult trails. However, we always emphasize safety and they've learned that growing up.

Part of the reason we're also switching to homeschooling is because we raise our kids so differently. Till now, most of the other kids have been jealous of ours, but as they reach those high school/peer pressure years, I don't want them feeling out of place since they don't know what's on TV Tuesday night at 7 etc and they don't hang out at the mall.

I'm a firm believer that I'd rather "live" and die young, than grow into old age and have done absolutely nothing. It may happen - and if so - I've no regrets. If necessary, I'm ready to meet my Maker. Besides, one could stay at home forever and still die young (cancer, etc).

To each their own. Real dangers (such as the current in the St Lawrence) will be respected. Perceived dangers (such as depth recommendations) will be investigated to see how much is real. Possible dangers (such as scuba in general) will be worked with to be reasonably safe - but then enjoyed. Driving/riding in a car is probably more dangerous - just heard on the news yesterday that someone was wiped out by a big truck causing an 8 car wreck on our local highway. It won't stop me from using that highway, but we still use seatbelts (and try to drive safe) when we go in a car.

Thanks again for the shallow diving suggestions from folks! Has anyone BEEN to Mozambique to let me know if that can be shallow or not - to see the Whale Sharks?

Creekland's Hubby here. As mentioned earlier
catherine96821:
My little two cents is that confidence building, esteem enhancing risk, contribute to an overall safer childhood and adolescence. ...

Reminds me of another quote I find myself using when trying new activities, foods, events, meeting new people, etc. "That which doesn't kill you only makes you stronger!"

We have also noticed that having our kids "doing things" does make them more confident, competent, and capable.

The only danger I've encountered with my 10 y.o. is paying more attention to him and not enough to myself. He's been diving for 2 years now. Started in Roatan, in about 10 f.s.w. now that is a shallow reef if you really want to stick to the 40' rule. This year in Coz, he averaged around 65' on his dives, I think his deepest was 75'.

I don't expect him to rescue me, and in fact I don't expect anyone that hasn't taken Stress & Rescue class to rescue me. I don't think a majority of scuba divers would be able to rescue someone else, but that isn't going to keep me out of the water. I do know that he will have a lot more air than I do at the end of the dive, and that he knows how to buddy breathe, since we try to practice skills on a regular basis.

Yes, I know it is dangerous, and he knows that too. He respects that. My nephews, have been riding motorcross since they were 3 & 5 y.o. most of their friends couldn't even ride bikes. But, they have all the safety equipment, and are safer than most adults...in fact all of their uncles have had bad enough wrecks to go to the hospital, so they have seen the dangers firsthand.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I can only dream that my parents would have scuba certified me at 10!

At such a early age,,,10 up to maybe 13.How do kids do on the classwork,,,such as learning the dive tables and calculations. My son is 12 and would love to learn to dive but I'm concern on the textbook part of the course

Well, I got to assist on teaching, and the thing about kids is that they are in school, and used to studying and taking tests. My son did better on his test than my wife and all of the other students (all adults) that were in his class. Needless to say, it was fun to grade those tests, and hand them out :)

creekland:
I'm fully aware that many kids - even older kids - aren't mature enough to handle diving. I do, after all, teach in high school and I see many of them that I wouldn't trust taking a message to the office! Many are couch potatoes and always look for the easy/quick way, etc. Video games tend to be a #1 activity...

With our kids, they don't even particularly like video games and we seldom watch TV. They've been brought up outside - swimming, camping, doing "real" hiking - sometimes on dangerous trails. Riding their ponies is probably more dangerous than scuba - though both can be dangerous as can be some of those more difficult trails. However, we always emphasize safety and they've learned that growing up.

Part of the reason we're also switching to homeschooling is because we raise our kids so differently. Till now, most of the other kids have been jealous of ours, but as they reach those high school/peer pressure years, I don't want them feeling out of place since they don't know what's on TV Tuesday night at 7 etc and they don't hang out at the mall.

I'm a firm believer that I'd rather "live" and die young, than grow into old age and have done absolutely nothing. It may happen - and if so - I've no regrets. If necessary, I'm ready to meet my Maker. Besides, one could stay at home forever and still die young (cancer, etc).

To each their own. Real dangers (such as the current in the St Lawrence) will be respected. Perceived dangers (such as depth recommendations) will be investigated to see how much is real. Possible dangers (such as scuba in general) will be worked with to be reasonably safe - but then enjoyed. Driving/riding in a car is probably more dangerous - just heard on the news yesterday that someone was wiped out by a big truck causing an 8 car wreck on our local highway. It won't stop me from using that highway, but we still use seatbelts (and try to drive safe) when we go in a car.

Thanks again for the shallow diving suggestions from folks! Has anyone BEEN to Mozambique to let me know if that can be shallow or not - to see the Whale Sharks?

Are your personal perspectives being foisted onto your kids? No need to rush kids into getting every learning experience possible. Kids are darn good with finding their own interests and developing them- especially teens.

Having had experience with the younger set and all these stupid certs. from PADI (for kids) I am happy letting them stay shallow until they build the muscle and acuity for diving past 60'. 14+ is a good age for that. X

laserdoc:
At such a early age,,,10 up to maybe 13.How do kids do on the classwork,,,such as learning the dive tables and calculations. My son is 12 and would love to learn to dive but I'm concern on the textbook part of the course
This has been a concern of mine with my daughter. She has been agitating me to get certified since I completed my training. Even though she is 11 years old and meets the minimum qualifications, I was hestitant to push to hard to fast. After doing research, I did find a LDS that offers the PADI Seal Team program. I enrolled her in this program and have watched her mature greatly over the past few months. SSI offers a similar program called Scuba Rangers.
Another LDS (SSI affiliated) has a specialized youth camp for kids age 10 to 14. This camp lasts one week and has a maximum of six kids. The culmination of this is a JrOW certification. The instructor told me they spend several hours each morning going over the text book information and then spend the first three afternoons doing work in the onsite pool. The last two days are spend doing open water work in a local quarry that is set up for dive training.
I was not comfortable putting my daughter in a class room setting with adults with the instruction directed at adults. Having found youth oriented programs with training that addresses the special needs of kids, I feel much more comfortable with her getting her certification.

ETnScuba:
This has been a concern of mine with my daughter. She has been agitating me to get certified since I completed my training. Even though she is 11 years old and meets the minimum qualifications, I was hestitant to push to hard to fast. After doing research, I did find a LDS that offers the PADI Seal Team program. I enrolled her in this program and have watched her mature greatly over the past few months. SSI offers a similar program called Scuba Rangers.
Another LDS (SSI affiliated) has a specialized youth camp for kids age 10 to 14. This camp lasts one week and has a maximum of six kids. The culmination of this is a JrOW certification. The instructor told me they spend several hours each morning going over the text book information and then spend the first three afternoons doing work in the onsite pool. The last two days are spend doing open water work in a local quarry that is set up for dive training.
I was not comfortable putting my daughter in a class room setting with adults with the instruction directed at adults. Having found youth oriented programs with training that addresses the special needs of kids, I feel much more comfortable with her getting her certification.
What kind of cost are we looking at??
Thanks

Back
Top Bottom