Diving Djibouti....?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rcaqua

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
We are looking at diving in Djibouti with friends who went there over 20 years ago. Does anyone know of good dive shops there, or have any info on whether this is worth our while or not (travelling from Europe)?

Many thanks for any info!
icon_biggrin.gif

Rene

May be too late, but I know there is at least one dive outfit in Djibouti. One is Dolphin Excursions, but they probably won't be going out until September. July and August are very hot (115F), so they don't dive much during those months. They can be contacted through Facebook

As far as whether or not it's worth it, I think it is, as far as diving is concerned. I certified there last year. The water is warm enough that no wetsuit is necessary, even at 80'. Lots of coral reefs also. Visibility is also really good. Just search Youtube for Djibouti diving.

As far as Djibouti itself... I would hardly consider it a resort location. The whole city is a bit run down, and on the outskirts there are large tin hut villages where all the destitute live. I was there because I was deployed at Camp Lemonnier for a little while. But I definitely wouldn't vacation there. The diving is great, though.

May be too late, but I know there is at least one dive outfit in Djibouti. One is Dolphin Excursions, but they probably won't be going out until September. July and August are very hot (115F), so they don't dive much during those months. They can be contacted through Facebook

As far as whether or not it's worth it, I think it is, as far as diving is concerned. I certified there last year. The water is warm enough that no wetsuit is necessary, even at 80'. Lots of coral reefs also. Visibility is also really good. Just search Youtube for Djibouti diving.

As far as Djibouti itself... I would hardly consider it a resort location. The whole city is a bit run down, and on the outskirts there are large tin hut villages where all the destitute live. I was there because I was deployed at Camp Lemonnier for a little while. But I definitely wouldn't vacation there. The diving is great, though.

Dear DanLW,

Thanks for your very useful reply.

As for the diving itself, is there a lot of coral or are you mainly on the outlook for pelagics....?

RA

Dear DanLW,

Thanks for your very useful reply.

As for the diving itself, is there a lot of coral or are you mainly on the outlook for pelagics....?

RA

Lots and lots of coral.

Dive Highlights - YouTube

This was just some highlights from my snorkeling, but there are lots of great reefs around there. There's no shortage of stuff to see.

I am currently there now and in close contact with people at the dive shop (dolphin) even while they are on vacation please let me know. I will be diving with them when they start up again in Sept.

I worked briefly at the other dive center in Djibouti: Le Lagon Bleu. To be honest I wasn't really impressed with the diving that much. Highlights were Le Fon- a shipwreck with some schooling fishes, barracuda and also some cool flabellina nudis... and er... ... some rays. Cape Rouge was an OKish dive at depths of around 35m. At least it got a little cooler at that depth :)

I hear the northern side of the Gulf is quite nice with more walls and coral formations. Djibouti side was mainly sloping.

I was there only for a few months from approx April-June. I think now the 'Ramsin' wind is fierce and diving is tricky. The island of Moucha is potentially closed during this time due to the weather.

I am currently there now and in close contact with people at the dive shop (dolphin) even while they are on vacation please let me know. I will be diving with them when they start up again in Sept.

Do you have a current email address for them? We will be visiting at the end of Sept & are interested to know what they offer? Thanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom