Diving Fees In The Philippines

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Babydamulag

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Here is one for the group --- what (or where can I find) is the normal schedule of diving fees for dive sites in the Philippines. As we research the local ordinances in our municipality, I am discovering there is not a "standard" for diver fees. As we develop our dive sites and learn more about the area I am concerned that the local ordinances are not adequate or are not written well to support the diving industry. Please share you knowledge of "SCUBA DIVING FEES" throughout the Philippines. We are writing a memorandum of agreement now that will better define our role and the role of the LGU's in the SCUBA industry in our area. This is an important issue since revenue will go to improving the local environmment, boat moorings, etc. Thanks. :D

I think axua better ring in...he is the marketing man himself!

But to me, it should boil down on what type of crowd. ie anilao attracts the locals so it's about $10-15 per dive, but then Cebu attracts the foreign crowds so it's about $20-30 per dive.

but I also don't know what type of expenses you'll be incurring. Don't have experience running a dive op.

Babydamulag:
Here is one for the group --- what (or where can I find) is the normal schedule of diving fees for dive sites in the Philippines. As we research the local ordinances in our municipality, I am discovering there is not a "standard" for diver fees. As we develop our dive sites and learn more about the area I am concerned that the local ordinances are not adequate or are not written well to support the diving industry. Please share you knowledge of "SCUBA DIVING FEES" throughout the Philippines. We are writing a memorandum of agreement now that will better define our role and the role of the LGU's in the SCUBA industry in our area. This is an important issue since revenue will go to improving the local environmment, boat moorings, etc. Thanks. :D
PG has a "dive op assoc." and they've all agreed to keep their rates in on and around $20/ dive... +/1 a couple of $ depending on whatever

this takes into account covering equip maintenance expenses, compressor costs, boats, gas and of course the dive op's profit margin.

anilao can charge $5/ dive because it has a steady local crowd BUT diver covers boat and DM costs (w/c can kick the charge up to $10-$20 or more depending on the # of divers, etc.)

a PG op OTH charges $20 and that's whether there's 1 or 100 of you on the boat... also overhead on PG is more expensive because of land values and utilities

how would this affect your op in culasi? if you have a large volume of traffic you can give it at a very low cost because volume will cover your expenses...

low cost though has its shortcomings - you MAY lose out on a premium market since you don't offer exclusivity - not a major problem since diving is not a mass-affordable activity but you can still get a lot of jologs nonetheless

beyond dive fees is your actual resort and its accompanying costs - take the examples of anilao resorts:
eagle point/ solana - expensive, exclusive, you get what you pay for
aquav/ balai - mid range, mixed crowds, good compromise between posh and practicality
vistamar - don't even get me started, and yes you also get what you pay for

there's also competition - how many dive ops are around you? if you charge $100/ dive and your neighbor charges $10 for the same divesite guess who's gonna have more business (assuming most things being equal)...

there's also what you offer - is your location a top dive destination? will people travel to get there? do you have a regular crowd? is there supporting infrastructure to get to where you are? in PG alone sabang and lalaguna dive ops run all year, while 1/2 an island away in white beach most dive ops only run during the peak season

carribean diving may suck compared to, let's say, camiguin - but people know of the carribean because of aggressive marketing. most filipinos don't even know where camiguin is, much less a european looking to spend a few thousand euro for the dive of a lifetime...

so although discussion on having consolidated and uniform dive fees has merit, the reality is that many of our paradisial dive spots have yet to offer even anilao-level infrastructure and amenities, let's not even consider yet the accessibility to travel like airports and decent ferries and transports - and this will throw any real, honest-to-goodness discussion on this matter into chaos

personally, i wish diving could be even cheaper, but that's not possible... at least not according to the laws of economics :biggrin:

Jag

I think he was thinking more along the lines of "Conservation" fees or "Park Fees' sort of the type that go to pay for "Bantay Dagat" (The local marine patrol in Anilao)...

There's a lot of info on the diversions yahoo group I think they (Anilao/Mabini/Tingloy) used seed money from the WWF

I have some of the old emails.... PM me and I'll fwd

//Snipped from Diversions//

Dear fellow divers who frequent and/or may plans of
visiting "Anilao",

In view of the scheduled implementation of the unified conservation
fee collection of Mabini and Tingloy in September 1, 2005, please
read below answers to more frequently asked questions.

I hope these will help clarify.

Riki Sandalo
WWF Project Manager
and Member of the both the Mabini and Tingloy
Coastal Resources Management Boards

Q & A
on the UNIFIED CONSERVATION FEE
in MABINI and TINGLOY, BATANGAS

Q: WHAT are the advantages of having a unified fee system?

A: There are many advantages of a unified fee system. With the
unified fee, the divers are now able to contribute to the
conservation, protection, and management, of not just Mabini's
municipal waters but that of Tingloy as well. The implementation
will be simplified and the divers will be freed from any further
hassle. The diver will only have to buy one dive pass, instead of
two if Mabini and Tingloy's conservation fee ordinances were
implemented separately. With only one dive pass, the diver shall
have access in all the dive sites of both municipalities, except in
the Batalang Bato Marine Sanctuary in Tingloy, where until today,
fishing and diving are not allowed.

Q: WHERE will the collected fees be spent on and WHO decides HOW it
will be spent?

A: Separately, Mabini and Tingloy have organized their respective
Coastal Resources Management Boards (CRMBs), pursuant to their
respective ordinances. These CRMBs are composed of representatives
from various stakeholders, including divers, fisherfolks, dive boat
operators, and resort-owners, among others. The CRMB is mandated to
decide how the collected fees will be spent as long as they are for
the purpose of financing "conservation, protection and management"
of their respective coastal marine resources. In Mabini, the already
collected fees are spent on marine law enforcement, mooring buoys,
information and education campaign, coastal clean-ups, policy
development, and capacity building, among others. It is expected
that once Tingloy shall have collected its own fees, similar
activities to that of Mabini will also be spent on.

Q: HOW can one avail of the unified dive pass?

Initially, the unified fee system will utilize the existing
distribution network established by Mabini. The unified dive passes
will be available in Mabini's MENRO office in the poblacion,
Mabini's Tourism Office and Tourists Information Center at the
Anilao pier, and at the WWF Project Office in Barangay Anilao East.
In addition, the unified daily dive passes will also be pre-sold to
Mabini-based resorts and dive boat operators, who will in turn make
them available to their diver-guests/clients, re-sold with the same
price or as part of the resort bill. Anticipating direct arrival of
divers in Tingloy from, say, Puerto Galera, and other areas, unified
daily dive passes will be also be available (pre-sold) in Tingloy-
based resorts and dive boat operators, and soon among its coastal
barangays, especially where a dive site is located nearby.

Q: HOW much will the unified dive pass cost?

A: Earlier, Mabini's daily dive pass was pegged at P50, while
Tingloy's ordinance, which was never implemented, also prescribed a
P50 daily dive pass. This time, the unified daily dive pass will
only cost P100. The proceeds of this amount will be shared equally
between Mabini and Tingloy. The P100 unified daily dive pass will
allow the diver, with as many number of dive he/she wishes, anytime
of the day, and anywhere in any of the dive sites in Mabini and
Tingloy. On the other hand, the unified annual dive pass, which will
allow the diver to dive anywhere in Mabini and Tingloy's dive sites
any day of the year will only cost P1,800. Those who
frequent "Anilao", which Mabini and Tingloy combined is popularly
known, are expected to find the unified annual dive pass more
attractive than the unified daily dive pass. As with the unified
daily dive pass, the proceeds from the unified annual dive pass will
be shared equally between Mabini and Tingloy.

//Snipped from Diversions//

I should have been a little more clear in the question ---
What do the LGU's charge for "their" fee for divers to dive in their waters. I am finding that each local ordinance is different for the "fee" to dive their waters. This is a Philippine law issue that seems to be inconsistent. Sorry about the confusion.....the comments are appreciated though. Okay, back to the fees question......

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom