Diving from Cruise Turks/Nassau

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The diving at Half Moon Cay is not the greatest. As I recall, it's usually max depth of about 35-40'. Sometimes their dive boat isn't operating, so they tow you out to the site. If you can talk them into going around to the opposite side of the island, I have good reports there, but they usually won't do it.

On the other hand, Half Moon Cay is a fabulously beautiful island. You might want to consider one of the other activities there.

krawdady:
Thanks for the response everyone. We have taken a couple of cruises before and used operators other than the ones that the cruises use. Weve gone to the Caymans, Tortola and Cozumel and It has worked out great, but I will admit I have always had a nagging fear that the boat would break down and we wouldn't make it back in time. I guess maybe we can give the crusie excursions a shot and hope for the best. It would be a pretty horrible feeling to watch the ship pulling out without you.
I think it's best not to generalize that cruise ship dive excursions are always bad or always best. Be aware of the pros and cons, and research each destination to see what makes the most sense for you in each case.

Hey there,
Having dove on grand turk I can honestly say it has some of the best wall diving on offer anywhere. Being on a cruise ship you will get steered towards their company..however if you dont like large groups of divers and restricted bottom time I would recommend Mitch Rolling and his team from Blue Water Divers...just look up grand turk scuba.com... Monica is in the office if you give her a ring. If you want any further recommendation just look up some of the comments from this site..There are never more than 8 to a boat very personal service..an excellent dive operation. Have a good cruise :)

BurBunny:
The diving at Half Moon Cay is not the greatest. As I recall, it's usually max depth of about 35-40'. Sometimes their dive boat isn't operating, so they tow you out to the site. If you can talk them into going around to the opposite side of the island, I have good reports there, but they usually won't do it.

On the other hand, Half Moon Cay is a fabulously beautiful island. You might want to consider one of the other activities there.

I just got back from a cruise through Carnival which went to Grand Turk, Half Moon Cay and Nassau. While I'm not disputing your take or opinion on this I would like to add mine. The dive at Half Moon Cay was one of my better diving experiences ever. 40 ft dive with beautiful reefs, more fish from surface to 40 ft than I saw the entire dive time at Grand Turk. Stingrays, lion fish under practically ever formation. There were 2 divemasters in the water. 1 leading the dive and 1 hunting for interesting things to see in front of the group. I enjoyed this dive, and the great attitude and work the DM's put in so much, that once back to the island I discovered I had forgotten money for a tip. I rode the tender back to the ship and then turned right back around to ride the tender back to the island for no other reason than to take a tip back to this crew. I am going back again in March 07 with my wife and another couple (who do not dive) and was told by my wife I could only dive 1 location. I will definately make Half Moon Cay that 1 dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom