Diving from San Francisco Beach Area in December - Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HI Francis - I have been offline for a week - off island for a family emergency (still off island) and once I got here, my laptop totally crashed (not a good week to say the least) - so I am getting my new laptop set-up now! If you've sent an e-mail, I'll be in touch shortly! And yes, we will absolutely take care of both of you :)

Remember that December is high season on the island so it's not too early to reserve rental cars and even restaurants.
After a number of December trips from 2 wks to the entire month, the only part of December there would be any issue with rental cars or needing a restaurant res, for any restaurant, would be Christmas week into New Year's. The rest of the month, once the Ironman people leave (which is usually within the first couple days of Dec, and some even sooner), you could shoot a cannon down most streets in town in the evening and not hit anymore. A lot of the restaurants this past Dec didn't even stay open their full hours on many nights. Once they went without any new customers coming in, if it was within a hour or a little more of closing, they did. I've also never had an issue getting a condo rental in a very popular building at this time for December (especially since we're right after Thanksgiving and leave before Xmas. They're half empty those 3 wks)

The trip I look most forward to every year is Cozumel in Dec. We usually leave a day or two after US Thanksgiving and come home Christmas Eve, or a day or two before that. We might have a few norte days, but overall the weather is great, the island is quiet, the holiday spirit is revving up and it's just a wonderful time to be there. We miss all the pre-holiday hoopla at home that I really do not enjoy, and we end the year totally relaxed, celebrating our anniversary at New Year's, feeling great and ready to take on a new year.

Christi will take good care of you. The currents in Coz are generally a non issue. Coz looses divers every year but that's to be expected at a place that has hundreds of divers weekly. New divers generally have more of an issue with air management as the dives are deep. I dove with a couple in the keys that would burn a tank in 45 minutes and that was at 35'. In Coz they wouldn't last 30 minutes. Air may be the limiting factor vs. NDL.

Dinner reservations may be necessary on Christmas/Eve and New Years Eve, but I am not sure as I have never been there during the holidays. I would make reservations for a large party but dinner for two? Have a great trip!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom