Diving from your own boat vs. a charter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@MaxBottomtime, nailed it. What you get out of owning your own boat is getting to dive where you want, when you want. My old buddy had a boat and we'd split gas for up to four of us. He certainly wasn't even close to breaking even compared to jumping on a dive charter, but what we gained was our own schedule.
Schedule is just the tip of the iceberg as far a Independence.
No more being cramped around strangers that may or may not respect your personal space and gear. Creative DMs that suddenly feel the need to make sure you are safe and screw your routine, and just way too many elbows around you.
The potential for having a less than great dive, grows exponentially with each additional person on a charter.

There's only one thing I kinda miss from charters, and is an after the fact kind of "missing". It is the amusing WTF things you hear and see on charters. But after diving off charters for about 20 years I should be ok on stories to tell. Every so often i invite the wrong person that serves as a reminder that I'm not good at the social game.

There are some ways to save money. The fuel dock at my marina charges $5.80 per gallon for gas. It was up to $5.95 last month. We take the boat around to Los Angeles Harbor for fuel where it is $3.40. We usually put in 110-125 gallons, adding up to a great savings. We also use the trip to get in some diving near there.
Ways to save on maintenance include cleaning the boat. Marine supply stores have some cleaners that cost what I used to earn with half a week's paycheck. I now use a cleaner that is not only cheap but cleans the boat better than anything I've ever used.

Reactions: Ana
I'm no expert as the last time I had access regularly to a boat was the "family" sail/motor 28 footer, sold in 1980. I recall it was a lot of fun, but work for my uncles.
A good friend instructor and his wife have a nice sail/motor boat from which they dive, fish, land on islands, etc. regularly, and of course they really enjoy sailing. They don't seem to find it too much work and apparently not too much money. I guess it depends on what type you own, it's condition, and other factors.

No more being cramped around strangers that may or may not respect your personal space and gear. Creative DMs that suddenly feel the need to make sure you are safe and screw your routine, and just way too many elbows around you.

Oh yeah, and this. There really is nothing like diving with a few like-minded folks!

Merry and I have no other hobbies, nor do we spend money on much else. We never go to movies, out to eat or buy clothing/household items.
We're probably the last two people in America without smart phones. :)

Yes, I would have the boat anyway, if nothing else than for pleasure-boating with my kids (before they grow up and leave the nest). I want them to have happy memories and to get them interested in fishing, skiing and maybe diving in the future. I know boats can be expensive, but I think the enjoyment for them will override the cost. Happiness isn't always measured in dollars. I would get greater enjoyment by spending time with my kids on the water than by sitting at home watching the NFL on TV with a larger bank account. No one takes their money with them in the end. I'll probably wind up selling it when my kids move out.

I think you answered your question. Charter vs. Owning... Dollar for dollar, no. The priceless experience, yes.

My advice from owing a boat here in Florida for a couple decades, research your options. There is no such thing as the perfect boat, there is always a trade off. The more systems, the more things to break. Learn to do your own maintenance or it will cost you around 4-5 two tank trips in annual cost if you pay someone to do it. If you buy used, get a survey. Older used boats often hide a complete hack job of wiring and other issues. I would also recommend joining www.thehulltruth.com. Lots of good info and plenty of people to help you with all things boating.

There are a whole lot of true comments here, as a former boat owner my words of wisdom are
Cheap boats aren’t,they will cost you more in maintenance.
Running costs increase exponentially, based on size.
Comfort decreases exponentially as they get smaller.
You do need a competent person on board while people are diving, on a charter boat the assumption is the skipper had to prove a level of competency. This person may be harder to find than you think.
Other people’s boats are almost as much fun as your own, and cheaper.
If you do dive off friends boats do your share of the grunge work, and find a way to contribute to the costs.
Your own boat can be damned good fun.

Reactions: Ana
I grew up around boats and you are right, it will be great for the kids to grow up on the water. But they remain holes in the water into which you cast your money. A friend bought a RIB, used, for diving. I have not asked for an update this last year. I am yet to see water make contact with the hull.

If you enjoy tinkering and would enjoy having a boat, go for it. If you want a boat for diving, think carefully until the urge goes away.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom