Diving ghost town in Lake Roosevelt??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

love2godeep:
Next time I'm in Spokane, I'll drop by the dive shop and get more details. I'd spoken to him about taking a class in using a dry suit; we were going to dive the ghost town as part of the training. I asked him if the town was Kettle Falls, and he said no, that it was much farther south.

It's possible, of course, that there are several of these towns on the bottom of the lake, as the lake is huge, and it must have covered several former towns.
And yet another reason to visit home.
Cool.

Tom

I am off to Spokane next week for business and intend to visit a couple LDS and see if I can find out more about this "dive site".

More to follow, I hope.

Mike...

I just have to know, has anybody found out anything more about this? I sure hope so. I have been patiently (ok, that is a lie) watching this thread waiting to see the results.

Later, Hawk.

I live near Lake Roosevelt, I can see it from my house. I think this "Sunken Town" story is bogus. When the river goes down there are places where you can see old foundations, fireplaces, front steps, etc. that are high and dry. There are also many Indian artifacts, graves, tools etc. These artifacts should never be disturbed as they are part of the local Indians heritage (it's also against the law).

This said, I could be wrong. If someone can tell me where this "Sunken Town" is, I'll go and dive it, take some pictures and post them for everyone to see.

There are some interesting dive spots on this beautiful lake. Let me know if anyone else would like to join me for a dive sometime.

I think someone was watching Burt Reynolds Deliverance and may have started an urban legend. Any structures would have most likely been torn down or burned prior to the flooding of the lake as they would pose a hazard to navigation.

Sorry, I only have opinion not fact and that dosn't realy get us to the answer. Maybe Bigfoot and Lock Ness Live in this town.... :)

Hawk:
I just have to know, has anybody found out anything more about this? I sure hope so. I have been patiently (ok, that is a lie) watching this thread waiting to see the results.

Later, Hawk.

Sorry, Hawk, I haven't had a chance to get into Spokane to ask the LDS about this. It was the one on Division--someone in the shop (the owner?) told me that they would take us to this ghost town for one of our Dry Suit cert dives. I haven't had time to do it, though, and probably won't for quite a while.

When I find out more, I'll be sure to post it!

[DonziMan
This said, I could be wrong. If someone can tell me where this "Sunken Town" is, I'll go and dive it, take some pictures and post them for everyone to see.

I think someone was watching Burt Reynolds Deliverance and may have started an urban legend. Any structures would have most likely been torn down or burned prior to the flooding of the lake as they would pose a hazard to navigation.

Sorry, I only have opinion not fact and that dosn't realy get us to the answer. Maybe Bigfoot and Lock Ness Live in this town.... :)]

I have no idea about anything about this town but what caught my eye was the burn it and distroy it. Look at the town around Banff at lake Minni****a. It's their and they flooded it. To think about it there is two town sites from two Dams being built at different times. I am saying is it is possible.
Cheers

Well if and when we find out about this, what a great Scubaboard dive that would make!!!!

I checked with two LDS in Spokane and neither knew much about it. They have heard of it but never been there.

Does anyone have any idea who the LDS that Love2godeep is refferingto? I am in Spokane week after next and would be glad to go and check this out.

Mike...

Mike...

Diver Mike:
Well if and when we find out about this, what a great Scubaboard dive that would make!!!!

You guys might even get me into a drysuit! (Depending on the time of year, of course...

Diver Mike:
Does anyone have any idea who the LDS that Love2godeep is refferingto? I am in Spokane week after next and would be glad to go and check this out.

Mike...

Mike...

IIRC, there is only one on Division, north of I-90. I think its Spokane Scuba...

I also chased down a "ghost town" tale, where the Snake joins the Columbia River. Turns out, yea, it was there once, but burned, buried and gone now. Legends do have a way of staying alive

MD

OK, tomorrow I WILL find out the truth about this legend. If it is true, I will get detailed info and plan a Saturday dive soon (maybe this Saturday, before there is too much snow to travel). From what I know of the LDS mentioned, they enjoy a good story as much as I do. But I do know someone who will know, and will tell me. If he doesn't swear me to secrecy, I'll post what I find out tomorrow night after the weekly night dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom