Diving Harkness Park or Anchor Beach (CT) Advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, I took my bike out there today to check the park out. The place looks quite interesting and rocky like Weekapaug Point in RI. Loads of shell debris on the shore and some nice size lobster claws.

I looked at the rules:

SCUBA is only allowed in parks designated for SCUBA.
SCUBA in state parks has to be with a minimum of 2 people (no solo diving).
No SCUBA gear is allowed in areas that are designated for swimming. (this is a gray area as you may have to exit in a swimming area).

NO SWIMMING allowed at Harkness Park. As the beach is very nice it could be due to the rips or the fact the parking lot could not handle a beach crowd. The park is more like a manicured green lawn with gardens.

So we really need to talk to the park manager to ask if SCUBA is allowed as no place on the website are there beach rules like there is at Rocky Neck that allows SCUBA.

The Ranger did confirm rip currents and these would be most prominent on windy days or when the tide is running strong. And there is a moderate walk to the shore from the parking lot about 1/4 mile or so.

DEP: Harkness Memorial State Park
DEP: Rocky Neck State Park

If you want to dive Rocky Neck, well the max depth is about 8ft unless you take the mile tip of the fin hop out to the North Brother Island.

Im thinking about going diving here soon (within a few weeks). Anyone interested to join? i wanted to scope the area n see if it was decent lobster fishing, and/or spear fishing. I have licenses for both.

Let me know! I live in Wethersfield, but willing to drive/carpool.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom