Diving Hood Advice Needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Heat loss is more or less uniform throughout the body. It just depends which surface is exposed to the elements. :)

PS: I even think they tested this myth on mythbusters...but i'm not sure :D

First off, I will be diving in the Mediterranean.

Second. Ok, I hear most people saying that a 5/4 is too thin and I understand that. I would love to have one suit for diving in May and one for August, but the problem is that I barely have enough money for one wetsuit much less two. I would also love to have a 7mm, but I cannot find one close to my size, and so far I have not had any luck with finding a custom wetsuit maker that can make me a suit within my budget.

Would a 5mm suit with a vest and hood be sufficient? Or do I really need to find a 7mm?

And along those lines, does anyone know of a place that does wetsuit alterations, in case I find a suit that fits, but needs the arms/legs shortened?

You need to try a dive in your 5/4mm before you can decide if it is too cold.
Many of the divers on here get cold below 70F and dry-suit it.
I personally (Canadian diver) am fine in 1C water in a 7mm for an hour so if you can, try before you buy.

First off, I will be diving in the Mediterranean.

Second. Ok, I hear most people saying that a 5/4 is too thin and I understand that. I would love to have one suit for diving in May and one for August, but the problem is that I barely have enough money for one wetsuit much less two. I would also love to have a 7mm, but I cannot find one close to my size, and so far I have not had any luck with finding a custom wetsuit maker that can make me a suit within my budget.

Would a 5mm suit with a vest and hood be sufficient? Or do I really need to find a 7mm?

And along those lines, does anyone know of a place that does wetsuit alterations, in case I find a suit that fits, but needs the arms/legs shortened?

Give craig's list / ebay a look. I got my 7mm (boot, hood, gloves as well) with a BC, fins, and a good knife for $200 Cad on craig's list. I have also seen new / used wetsuits go for less than $100 on ebay.

If your budget is limited, I would recommend a hooded vest to go under the wetsuit. I recently got a Waterproof Canis 5/3mil hooded vest and in combination with my 3/2 wetsuit it made a big difference. Under your 5mil suit it might be enough.

As far as sizing goes, a hooded vest only has to fit your head and chest, so it shouldn't be too hard to figure your size based on manufacturers' measurement charts. My vest fits me very well, and I'm a pretty difficult fit for wetsuits. I'll also point out you can get a smokin' deal from Waterproof USA in their clearance section...:eyebrow:

I know "wetwear" is a custom wetsuit company but I do not know how much they cost. Depending on your budget if your looking to spend around 4-600 there is a good chance depending on your size you may be able to even find a used Drysuit in good condition. I have seen some sell for around 500 that are usually people's extra or back-up drysuit.

If you think a custom suit is what you need and you are goin to spend anywhere in the 600+ range I would get a used drysuit. Just my opinon but again I am someone who gets cold easily and like to be comfortable. I dive my drysuit year round all water temps Highest so far was 75F lowest 37F it's nice to simply change undergarments. BUt either way depending how limitied you are I would say go with a straight 5mm and then adjust if you need to.

But to be honest the absolute best thing you could do is make a demo day or try to demo a 5mm and 7mm in your local place or somewhere that has about same water temps. Last thing I am sure you want to do is spend the money or 4/5 and it not be enough and your too cold especially on a budget.

If your budget is so tight that you can not afford two wetsuits, then go with the 5/4mm with hood 3mm, boots and gloves, you will be able to dive most of the year in the Mediterranean with that set up, and stil feel comfortable. The temperature will only be under 20 deg C (68F) between mid November to mid March, from July to October you have around 28 deg C(82F), where I think a 7mm would be a bit too warm. You may still feel ok in the winter with the 5/4mm, but then do not expect dive times more than 25 minutes.

There's a big difference between 59 and 70. The former is the water temp here in S Cal and I dive a full 7mm suit with 5mm hooded vest. On the other hand for 70 deg water the 5/4 should be fine even without a hood.

Adam

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom