Diving ideas for march/april near Brisbane or elsewhere for sharks/manta/seals?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@bracko...Those bastards lol..cheers mate!

Update: Here's what I'm looking to do in May..

Fly into Ade, fly to Port Lincoln, do the GWS cage trip
Swim with the seals, fly back to Ade
2 dive Leafy Sea Dragon Tour @ Rapid Jetty and possibly do a night dive
2 dives @ Edithburgh Jetty and possibly a night dive (cheap travel suggestions?)
1 day dive @ Noarlunga Jetty and possibly a night dive to look for Blue Ringed Octopus
Decomp day, maybe go to the zoo?
Fly to Brisbane

Any suggestions for cheap as chips accommodation, looking for a clean and safe room for my equip?
Any other comments or suggestions welcome
Many Thanks!

Nth stradbroke island is perfect for GNS including accomodation, easy beach launched RIB and a lovely place to stay for a few days.
Manta lodge & Scuba Centre : PADI 5 Star Dive Resort & Youth Hostel : North Stradbroke Island

@bracko...Those bastards lol..cheers mate!

Update: Here's what I'm looking to do in May..

Fly into Ade, fly to Port Lincoln, do the GWS cage trip
Swim with the seals, fly back to Ade
2 dive Leafy Sea Dragon Tour @ Rapid Jetty and possibly do a night dive
2 dives @ Edithburgh Jetty and possibly a night dive (cheap travel suggestions?)
1 day dive @ Noarlunga Jetty and possibly a night dive to look for Blue Ringed Octopus
Decomp day, maybe go to the zoo?
Fly to Brisbane

Any suggestions for cheap as chips accommodation, looking for a clean and safe room for my equip?
Any other comments or suggestions welcome
Many Thanks!

A quick browse online found the following:

Travel between Adelaide and Edithburgh - Yorke Peninsula Coaches. Fares can be viewed at http://www.ypcoaches.com.au/fares_yp.pdf. Route & timetable can be viewed at AUSTRALIAN BUS AND TRAIN JOURNEY PLANNER - ROUTE DETAILS. I did not know this bus service existed! The fare appears to be $48.00 one way.

Accommodation in Adelaide - suggest you have a look at the following page - Accommodation - South Australia. A brilliant blend.. There is an accommodation search tool.

Hi Ferris,

Thanks for the tip on Brisbane and other info mate, I may consider doing the Manta trip with my family money permitting.
Cheers for taking the time to post that!

Thanks again, Diver257a, for yet more valuable advice. I feel like I should pay you for all your kind help...but of course I won't. ;-p
I just looked at car rentals and i think i might drive myself rather than sit in a coach for 3hrs, i have a feeling it would be a very scenic coastal drive and the cost of a small car for the day is only about $50...and in a Toyota Yaris I can pretend I'm Mad Max!

I just got a quote from a company offering 2 guided dives with equipment hire for 1 person for $250...is it me or does this seem steep?

Adelaide scuba quoted me a ridiculous price for shore dives at Rapid Bay for a Sea Dragon dive with a DM.

Learn to scuba dive Adelaide, South Australia with Underwater Sports - learn to dive, specialty courses, dive master, equipment sales and service, ex-HMAS Hobart dives. were a far more reasonable price and the guy who I spoke to (who apparently owns it) was very straight up and no bullsh*t

Hi Bracko,

I was in Adelaide Scuba this morning. They advised that they charge $295 for a day of diving with LDS at Rapid Bay. I gather that this includes the guide, 2 (or 3) dives, equipment, travel both ways and refreshments.

The Underwater Sports Diving Centre ‘offers Leafy Sea Dragon Tours with a Divemaster experienced in spotting them. We can taylor (sic) a tour to suit your needs, but a typical day includes 2 guided jetty dives, transport (from the dive shop or CBD) and all equipment for only $250 for one person. Add $100 for each additional person (maximum 4 people)’ (quote from Learn to scuba dive Adelaide, South Australia with Underwater Sports - learn to dive, specialty courses, dive master, equipment sales and service, ex-HMAS Hobart dives., assessed 20/02/2012).

A quick look at other providers did not reveal any pricing. Therefore, $250 - $295 appears to be the price range for hosted tours.

Thanks again, Diver257a, for yet more valuable advice. I feel like I should pay you for all your kind help...but of course I won't. ;-p
I just looked at car rentals and i think i might drive myself rather than sit in a coach for 3hrs, i have a feeling it would be a very scenic coastal drive and the cost of a small car for the day is only about $50...and in a Toyota Yaris I can pretend I'm Mad Max!

I just got a quote from a company offering 2 guided dives with equipment hire for 1 person for $250...is it me or does this seem steep?

Hi Outpost31,

As mentioned in my response to Bracko’s comments (i.e. Post #8) regarding price, $250 - $300 appears to be the price range for hosted tours.

I would suggest that you might ask both stores to confirm what they are offering.

hello, I'm living in France, and I'm planning to come to Australia in next may 2014
I've seen on this thread some links in Kangaroo island or Adelaïde, but it is difficult to make a choice !
is this period, may, a good period to see LSDs ? what is the temperature of the water ?
with which center do I have the best chance to see LSDs ? which center is the nicer to dive with ?
thank you
Klezz

Hi Klezz

I think the choice is easy regarding the 'Mainland' vs Kangaroo Island (KI) . It is the mainland because you do not have to pay for travel to & from KI or pay for travel around KI. The sites off the coast of the 'mainland' where LSDs are most commonly seen are as close as a couple of hours drive from Adelaide. From my experience, there does not appear to be any correlation between sightings and the time of year. The water temperature in Gulf St Vincent during May is around about 15 degrees C ; it can be a bit warmer in the western part of South Australia. I will not offer any opinions about which dive centre is better at finding LSDs or which dive centre is 'nicer' to dive with.

Hi Klezz,

I dove with LSD on 20/5/12 at Rapid Bay Jetty. I did it in a 3mm wetsuit with a thermal vest or you can use a 5mm. As it's a shallow dive around the jetty structure I think i was down there for about 75 mins without being too cold. It's a good dive looking for little creatures and a different experience from being in the deep. You will have to carry your gear all the way down the jetty to the steps tho. I think I dived with Dive Shack who picked me up, took me there and back, just me and a dive guide which was all that was needed. My dive guide spent most of his time finding some great stuff for me to photograph so I can recommend them.

Port Lincoln & Adelaide - a set on Flickr

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom