Diving in an old iron mine in Germany

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Germie

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
2 weeks ago I was lucky to dive an old mine in Germany near Kleinenbremen. Normally it is a divesite for sportsdivers. There is a 'lake' in the mine where divers are allowed to diving once a month. Another small part can just be dived with a guide. Very special, you go with a small train in the mine and can do 2 dives in this lake.

Now there was for the first and only time that certifified cavedives where allowed in the whole mine by the autorities, so not only the 'lake' and the part with guide. 2 dives of maximum 90 minutes where allowed (that was because of the train that has a schema to bring people in and out the mine).
Some tunnels where dived a couple of years ago, other places not. On some places there were some lines, most places not they told.

I made a small movie of the diving:

Another took some pictures (mostly in the sportsdiver area)
6q8g0k.jpg

[FONT=&quot]The day started to bring all the divestuff on the train. Then we went in drysuit and helmet by train 800m in the mine. From there it was a 200m walk down to the water (mostly stairs and nice paths as this mine is an museum too).
No lines make you be slow. But it is fun too. This where too dives with a lot of reelwork (as there was asked to take your lines out again too). Because the mine is not dived there is a lot of silt and perculation. But it was fun. Most times the water was clear. The tunnels where not really narrow, just some ‘holes’ where narrow. Sadly most old equipment was taken out before the mine flooded, so there was not a lot of ‘old steel’, but a lot of old pipes we have seen of course. [/FONT]

20p7vhh.jpg

1slc36.jpg

2d81kck.jpg

[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]
nvs1z5.jpg
[/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]
icqrmt.jpg
[/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]
xadn8.jpg
[/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]The second dive we took another tunnel. Here we found some old line, but on the side-tunnels no lines were found. And then again a sudden totally siltout. We decided to turn, we had to swim again a part of the dive without viz. Again a really nice dive.
Both dives maximum depth 20m.

Another team told they left a reel somewhere because of sudden siltout. [/FONT]

2q2fssn.jpg

[FONT=&quot] [FONT=&quot]
25j9htf.jpg
[/FONT][/FONT]

29nw0b9.jpg

At home you have to wash your stuff, as it dries out then it turns into red and that will not get off again. My wing still has some red parts. :D

Amazing photos and video. Thank you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom