Diving In and Around Tokyo?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

goodeatsfan

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi, I was wondering, as I'll be in tokyo in mid-february, is there anyway to arrange for diving in and around the area? The problem is, I only have 1 day to spare and it'll likely be a weekday. Any advise?

Hi,

I think that you can dive here with appropriate pro support but you should consider that it is the coldest in winter season so the water temperature will be 13-14 c degrees. You need a dry suit and so on.
But some forum colleagues could post practical offering.

PM sent...
I'll second that (Nori). Feb is the coldest time of year here above and below the surface. You'll need a drysuit unless you are a member of the Polar Bear Club...

Jim

You will beable to get some good snow covered shots of Fuji-san! Listen to Jagfish, DDT has it going on for this area!

:shocked: 13-14 C !!! I haven't got a drysuit, in fact the thickest exposure suit I have is a 3mm (a thin one at that).... I wouldn't mind trying out / doing a drysuit dive!!!!!! but unless I can get it done in a day, this plan is what they call a :deadhorse:

Well, I have had divers in February dive wet, 2 piece 5 mm. suits. It is cold when they get out of the water, which is why we go to places like Hokkawa with their open air bath (rotemburo) that you get into after the dive, suit and all.

However, we only dive on the weekends.

Best of luck,

I like the open air bath in Hokkawa as well! But be cautious with hot baths and showers after diving as it reduce nitrogen solubility. There are many reports on DCI after hot showers. Becoming cold at the end of a dive also reduce blood flow to the tissues and therefore reduce clearance of nitrogen during the ascent. A drysuit is a better choice. We normally dive dry and only shower in comfortable water temperature after diving to be on the safe side. I know you know all this Matt but others on the board may not.

Mar Scuba:
Well, I have had divers in February dive wet, 2 piece 5 mm. suits. It is cold when they get out of the water, which is why we go to places like Hokkawa with their open air bath (rotemburo) that you get into after the dive, suit and all.

However, we only dive on the weekends.

Best of luck,

???????? I've never encountered cold water (coldest ever 28C) so I've never heard that tidbit before. Is that really true? Wow.... thanks

Thomas, thanks for the post, that is good to point out to a lot of readers who may not be familiar with the increased risk of DCS due to cold water dives and exposure to hot water/showers.

Most of the dives in Hokkawa are well within recreational limits, we are never pushing NDLs there. I would not do any sort of strenuous activity or take hot showers or go into an onsen (approx. 40-43 degree C water temperture) after any sort of deco dive.

Back
Top Bottom