Diving in Belize

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dirkadirk

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi guys, I'm due to deploy to Belize for 6 months in a few weeks, and have decided to pack my dive kit instead of a load of my military kit (naughty boy I know, but at least my priorities are straight!!). Other than the Blue Hole which I will am already pricing up, what sites would you recommend visiting?

I'm also open to dive sites around Belize, eg in SE Mexico and and Caribbean Islands eg Cuba that I can hit easily with a puddle jumper. I really want to make the most of my time and really smash out some fantastic dives.

Thanks in advance for the help guys

Blue Hole is once and done AFAIC...as mentioned Turneffe and Ambergris Caye reef should keep you well occupied.

Tough assignment, but someone has to do it:)

The area near the Blue Hole is superb. We have spent many weeks out there at Huracan Diving, so get to dive Lighthouse Reef several times. If you read peoples' reviews of diving the GBH, the vast majority will rave about the two afternoon dives out there. It's a bit tricky to get to mind you..

Huracan does have a mid-week transfer as a rule, so if you had a few days off, you could so a Saturday to Wednesday trip...

Huracan is also the best way to dive the Blue Hole. Because they are so close, they are in and out by the time the other boats get there from AC or elsewhere.

Last edited:
Be sure you do not leave your stint in Belize and go back home without hopping over to Cozumel from some world class diving and a great time overall.

I did a liveaboard for a week at turneffe atoll and lighthouse reef and another week at ambergris key. I liked the lighthouse reef the best. Blue hole; done it once probably will not dive it again.

Agree with above. I will be diving the Blue Hole in a couple of weeks for the second time, but only because the trip includes two other dives not far away. I think one we went to was called Half Moon Caye Wall and the other Long Key Wall. Both very nice! Wouldn't go back to the Blue Hole otherwise, though I don't regret the first time. It was just a short, deep dive without much to see, IMO.

Thanks for the ideas guys, just want to check, what is the standard type of first stage used in that neck of the woods? DIN or A Clamp? And are there any local 'foibles' that might not be immediately obvious to a British diver? (metres, BAR, the extra/missing vowels etc lol)

Glover's Reef was said to be the best diving when I moved to Belize....17 years ago. I've been there on my boat a few times. It is pretty good. The northeast tip is nice. Lot of current. The whole east side is pretty nice too.
Glover's Atoll Resort, Belize
Go to Sittee River and they take you out on a half of a trimaran. Yep, that's right. Cut in half.

I like Turneffe too. The Elbow is a special place. One of the fishiest I've ever seen.

Where are you stationed? Too bad I'm in Thailand for the next couple years. I could take you diving on my boat out of Sittee River.

Back
Top Bottom