Diving in Boston area 1/29/11

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

giladshay

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Hi all,

Surely this question been asked a lot, but please let me ask it one more time:

I'll be in Boston area for the next two weeks.
I thought to go for a daily charter dive/s.

I'm looking for any recommendation/s about any diving facility/ies, diving site/s (Ship Wreck/s) which will provide me a good experience during Saturday the 1/29/11.

Also, would you be so kind to let me know what will be the estimated water temp during that day (I need to prepare myself for it :shakehead: :coffee:).

I'll come without any gear, so take into consideration that I'll need a complete set.

Thanks in advance,

Gilad

Water temps will probably be mid to upper 30's at the end of January.

NDBC - Station 44013

Can't help with a recommendation for shops or charters, unfortunately, as I see Cape Ann Divers dive shop and charter in Gloucester, MA, is closed until Feb 12.

Otherwise, the wreck of the Chester Poling, off Gloucester, might be interesting to you.

Good luck!

Dave C

Northern Atlantic Dive Expeditions is showing a charter out to the Reliance on R/V Gauntlet for 29 January 2011 so if you know your dates and are qualified then call (or email) them ASAP. They are one of the few year round operators and thus fill up fast. They should also be able to offer suggestions for equipment rentals.

Besides the Gauntlet I can't think of any other boats that are running. I've been diving fairly regulary this winter, all shore diving though. As for gear, you'd have to call around to see if anyone rents drysuits. I would NOT recommend diving wet as the last dive I did (Monday IIRC) was 34 at 20ish feet. Most if not all the sites are weather dependent so it's hard to pick one now. if yo're interested in a shore dive let us know. I know I'm not the only crazy ome around here. I'd offer to dive with you but I will be away at work.

I'm pretty sure Mass Diving in Natick rents drysuits.

If you're looking to shore dive, contact the MetroWest Dive Club (just google them) as they have a group of diehards who shore dive almost every weekend, I think around 10am. They might let you join up.

hth,

Steve

Ice Diving is something you can do here in the NE. The ice should be easily thick enough that folks can safely do some ice diving locally, or certainly in New Hampshire. In fact, I saw a fair number of ice fishing huts when I was driving on the Mass Turnpike. Just a thought. It is a once-in-a-lifetime experience.

If that doesn't suit you - some places in Cape Ann, or Cape Cod are still serving clam bellies. :)

Cheers,

X

If that doesn't suit you - some places in Cape Ann, or Cape Cod are still serving clam bellies. :)

Cheers,

X

+1 get a cup of chowdah and laugh at all of us stupid enough to dive now :D

Ice Diving is something you can do here in the NE. The ice should be easily thick enough that folks can safely do some ice diving locally, or certainly in New Hampshire. In fact, I saw a fair number of ice fishing huts when I was driving on the Mass Turnpike. Just a thought. It is a once-in-a-lifetime experience.

In fact if you do have the time, Upper Valley Diving is listing an ice-diving course at Lake Sunapee, NH during the weekend of 28-30 January 2011 on their calendar.

Thank you all for the best suggestions and recommendations.
I'll try to rent a complete gear in on of the shops, either Fri night or Sat morning.
I don't want to get far- therefore I won't goto NH.
After considering your options- I prefer to have a shore dive, therefore solor's suggestion looks good, but I'll do it only after I'll confirm I have the proper gear.
lewisevens- why don't you join me to that group as a buddy?
Cheers.

Thank you all for the best suggestions and recommendations.
I'll try to rent a complete gear in on of the shops, either Fri night or Sat morning.
I don't want to get far- therefore I won't goto NH.
After considering your options- I prefer to have a shore dive, therefore solor's suggestion looks good, but I'll do it only after I'll confirm I have the proper gear.
lewisevens- why don't you join me to that group as a buddy?
Cheers.

I would join y'all however I am at work for another two weeks....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom