Diving in Brazil

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It looks like I will be in Sao Paulo at the end of May and will be able to take some time off to dive. Does anyone have any information about diving in that area?

Peter

Peter,

There are many diving spots but the visibility in a good day is about 10 meters. If you are staying at the city of São Paulo there is a spot called "Laje de Santos", 1:40 from the city of Santos(60km from São Paulo). Try calling Narwhal(5535-9000) or Amigos do Joe( 3889-7721) for details. I tried to post some links but since its my first post I wasn´t allowed.

Good Luck.

For a one-day trip, Laje de Santos is by far the best spot near São Paulo. As it's a State Marine Reserve, you'll see a lot of life there, mainly turtles, stingrays, angelfish, grouper and many other fish.

Luckly you're going by the end of the month, as it's the Manta Ray Season, that begins by May and goes until August. Last year there was the first proven sight of a shark-whale there, as well.

Although winter is approaching, the water temperature gets a little better, around 23oC (74oF) or so. Just beware of the thermoclines, very frequent there.

Visibility there is about 20-25m (65-80 ft) in a good day, which is usually when the wind is calm and blowing from South. Another thing to beware: it's not unusual the trips to be abort due to bad weather and/or bad sea conditions.

For a weekend stay, other places to consider: Ilhabela and Ubatuba (3,5h by car, each). It's harder to get a good visibility, but when you do, you'll make great dives. Besides there are very nice places to stay for a weekend, on the surface.

check out Buzios if you can get away for a long weekend, took me 2-3 hours from Rio I think. more famous for being the Brazilian Hamptons than a diving hot spot, the beaches are spectacular. I liked that it's just about the only place I didn't have to chase the big hawksbill for a view, turtle was totally unafraid.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom