Diving in Cairns

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Dear Friends:

I am new to the whole forum thing, and to diving all together. Since I am going to Australia, how can I visit the continent and not visit the GBR?! So I thought I shoud try this new thing, maybe I'll like it, and you never know, I might end up to be some crazy diving freak, which is totaly cool.

My problem is that I will only have 2 night in Cairns? Would I be able to get an appretiation for diving if I fly in to Cairns on a Wdnesday and fly out on the following Friday? Would I be able to dive on Wednesday after my flight from Melbourne, and fly back on Friday after spending Thursday in the water? Do you know if I'll have a Jelly fish problem in January? Did I forget to mention, I have never been scuba diving before (even though I grew up in Miami Beach).

Thank you all,

Unfortunately, the most you'll get is one two-tank intro dive from a day trip operator. They all tend to leave in the morning and come back in the afternoon, so unless your flight arrives before 7 AM I doubt you'll be able to do a boat dive on the day you arrive in town.

That's not to say you won't have fun, because you most likely will. But it's hardly enough time for an "appreciation" of diving on the GBR. I did 3 two-tank dives and hardly scratched the surface. It may be enough though to get you hooked on diving and going for your full cert.

I'm not sure about the box jellyfish problem, perhaps a local can explain (and a mod might move this to the Australia forum anyway). However, even if they are "in season" I've been told that the jellyfish aren't a problem where the day-trip and liveaboard operators tend to go.

Welcome to the sport and to scubaboard, and I hope you become addicted to this sport too.

You will only be able to get a single trip in, however you will get at least a taste of what is available. I would go for it. I would suggest Poseiden out of Port Townsend(half an hour up the road and they will pick you up and drop you off). Of the two operators I tried for day trips they would be best for a first time diver. It is a bit of a cattle boat - 40 or so divers and snorklers, but they deal with first time divers all the time and have a system that seems to work. You are likely to be overwealmed by everything, but it may just be the start of a lifetime hobby/passion/?eyebrow desease?

Re the box jellyfish they will not be a problem at the dive sites - you are a long way from shore and the problem (we were told) is close to shore. You do not want to go in swimming on the beaches unless you are inside the "stinger" nets that are set up on many public beaches.

Last January I made a couple of two-dive day trips with Tusa Dive (http://www.tusadive.com/daydive.htm) out of Cairns. They picked me up at my hotel and brought me back at the end of the day. Good people, fun and professional. Their website has contact info and you can e-mail them in advance if you want to arrange anything.

My boat was fairly large with about 25 passengers, several of who seemed to be new divers. Three similar boats (looked like 40-max capacity) left the dock and each went to different sites. They also had an on-board photographer for anyone interested in purchasing pictures of themselves on the dive.

While out diving on the reef I didn't see a single jellyfish, although it was jellyfish season. They apparently aren't very common in parts of the reef. I highly recommend you always wear a wetsuit. My wife and two kids aren't divers so we spent one day on a reef snorkeling trip and we did see quite a few small jellyfish and both my wife and daughter got small stings that made temporary red marks. Clear vinegar really helped take the sting away.

In several places south of Cairns, in Towsville for example, the beaches were closed (except in enclosed areas) due to the jellyfish.

Have a great time.

Cheers,
Mike

I really want to thank scuba_mike, Darnold9999 and RonDawg. You guys are a great help, I think I might extend my stay a bit longer so that I can get crazier about this new sport I am about to embark on.

Please, keep writting.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom