Diving in Cambodia?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thailand is generally considered to have much better diving. If you're in Cambodia and you want to dive you might try Sihanoukville (I was in Cambodia but didn't dive there - I went to Thailand to dive). You'll find lots of information in the Asia forum.

Diving is Cambodia is great. There is an island 2 hours from Sihanoukville call Koh Rong. This is where most of the diving is. Having dived in a few places in Thailand I can say that Cambodia is alot more underdived and underfished so there is alot to see. Contact kohrongdivecenter@hotmail.com for more information. The island itself is still relatively undevepoled so its a great time to visit a small piece of paradise.

I dived in Cambodia 10 years ago from a Sihanoukville operation, it was also Koh Rong area, which was horribly overfished, almost nothing to see, looked like everything had already been caught and cooked into the soup. Visibility was 8-10m great maximum, the guide even had to cut short the first dive since we could hardly see each one's buddy.

For me there is no comparison with Thailand especially the Andaman coast, but even Koh Tao offered much better diving.

If you're going to be in Cambodia anyway, and if you don't have to travel far to get access to dive sites, why not see what's happening diving-wise? However, I wouldn't make a special trip to Cambodia for diving.

The diving in Thailand is more varied in terms of underwater topography with greater fish density and better visibility. Besides, in March Cambodia is still in its rainy season with the southwest monsoon blowing straight onto Koh Rong. A lot of dive centers will simply shut down.

You'd probably be happier coming to Thailand to dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom