Diving in Dominican Republic

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yep, you were diving the wrong area. If you come back head North to Samana Peninsula and enjoy The Tower, (usual vis around 50 metres) Tibisi 1 and 2 (usual vis around 50 metres) plus caverns, reefs in fact something for everyone!

---------- Post added May 23rd, 2014 at 11:15 AM ----------

sorry I missed this post really hope you made it to the Samana Peninsula where some of the best dive sites are. Let us know how your trip went please

Can I get picked up for dives at Gran Bahia Principe Cayo Levantado?

Hope we can get some updated info here please. :)

What info are you looking for (maybe I can help). ScubaFun will arrange transport from Punta Cana but it can get expensive (it is around an hour drive). I imaging they would pick up from the Samana area too but I doubt it would be free of charge. I really enjoy diving in the Bayahibe area...some really nice reefs and a couple of great wrecks.

Yep, you were diving the wrong area. If you come back head North to Samana Peninsula and enjoy The Tower, (usual vis around 50 metres) Tibisi 1 and 2 (usual vis around 50 metres) plus caverns, reefs in fact something for everyone!

---------- Post added May 23rd, 2014 at 11:15 AM ----------

sorry I missed this post really hope you made it to the Samana Peninsula where some of the best dive sites are. Let us know how your trip went please

I dove out of Las Galleras last September, thought the diving was great. Piedra Bonita was a lot of fun, Tibisi 1, Las Carriles... 10 dives in all.

ScubaFun will arrange transport from Punta Cana but it can get expensive (it is around an hour drive)....I really enjoy diving in the Bayahibe area...some really nice reefs and a couple of great wrecks.

Thanks. Good to know. I was just wondering because Punta Cana is a popular resort town. I wonder what it would be like staying in Bayahibe.

Also, Puerto Plata is a popular resort town. Does anybody know anything about dive operations around there?

Thanks. Good to know. I was just wondering because Punta Cana is a popular resort town. I wonder what it would be like staying in Bayahibe.

Also, Puerto Plata is a popular resort town. Does anybody know anything about dive operations around there?

Bayahibe (near La Romana) is home to a bunch of all-inclusive resorts (Dreams, Iberostar etc). If you like AI's (and I do) they are great and very near the diving. Puerto Plata is on the north coast and it gets pretty windy there with big surf (not great for diving). That is probably why the north coast is a mecca for windsurfers.

I'd stay in Bayahibe. Scubafun did have an apartment for rent at one point. I never stayed there, but I'm sure it would be fine. I spent some time walking around Bayahibe. I found it to be a neat little community. You have Casa de Campo right down the street. You can probably find a good place to stay on VRBO at Casa de Campo. I thought taxis were a bit expensive. You can rent a car cheap. Stay out of the major population areas, and you will do fine driving.

Bayahibe has nice diving. I've been there twice and dove with Vladi on divingdr.com, and would happily dive with him again. I trained with him for my Advanced several years ago. Really great people, specialize in small groups. They tend to be in demand....

I second the St. George. Top of the wreck is about 50 feet, stern is about 105. Great memories of a deeper dive, with big schools of creole wrasse on the way back up.

Back
Top Bottom