Diving in FIJI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
As with other question, the board seems to have the answers.

I have a trip schedualed in Fiji for 8 days and am planning to dive in Beqa Bay. Are there any other sites ya'll would recommend. I know this might be a dumb question, cause, in Fiji, how can any site be bad.

Thanks

Originally posted by Terry Gardner
As with other question, the board seems to have the answers.

I have a trip schedualed in Fiji for 8 days and am planning to dive in Beqa Bay. Are there any other sites ya'll would recommend. I know this might be a dumb question, cause, in Fiji, how can any site be bad.

Thanks

If you can, get up to the northern tip of Vitu Levu and dive with Crystal Divers - some great sites.

Hi Terry,

Fiji covers a lot of ocean, and the quality of dive sites varies quite considerably. I'd rate most of the Beqa Bay area as middling quality, and the far NE sector of the country as the best.

The issue is getting to the primier sites. A live-aboard is your best bet in this regard, but I assume that you are not interested in doing this. If you are, please let me know. There are 3 super boats.

For land-based off the main island of VITI Levu, which is where you'll likely be stationed if you're diving Beqa Bay, the Rakiraki area that Don suggested indeed is excellent. I've been there several times. It's about a 2 - 2 1/2 hour drive from the mainland shores of Beqa Bay.

The owner of Crystal Divers http://www.crystaldivers.com/index.shtml, Dan Grenier, is an old Vietnam buddy of mine. If you decide to go, let me know. I'll introduce you.

Have a great trip.

DocVikingo

G'Day Terry,

There's a couple of places that do the Beqa Lagoon without having to ferry over to Marlin Bay, here's two of 'em

Get yourself along to Pacific Harbour and the Centra Hotel on the Coral Coast, Aquatrek is based there and they'll run you out for a days diving. The Centra's not a bad place to stay as well (Book only rooms on the 3rd floor for best sea breezes.

Check 'em out at:- www.aquatrek.com
and click on Pacific Harbour

The other place is about 20mins away at Waidroka Bay, and they have 3 Bure accommodations and is set in a tropical rainforest The Guys there are a family from Arizona and run both Diving, fishing and Surfing from their waterside Resort. Nice place, I've got some land just up from the resort ontop of the hill beneath the Telecom radio mast. Ask for Ray and say Brian from Sydney sent you, they look after real good. Be warned it a 4 km windy road to the place but it's worth it

Check 'em out at:- www.dive-surf-fiji.com.fj

Email if you need to know any more.

DSAO

Brian (AusWiz)

Hi Terry -

As mentioned, the north tip of Viti Levu around Nananui-Ra is also good. If you're on a budget, you can get there from Pacific Harbor by bus in one day.

Taveuni was also worth the trip. My recent Fiji trip experiences are posted at:
http://www.scubaboard.com/t4962/s.html

Have fun!

g2

Strogly advise you use Waidroka, since Y'all come from the same State, they're from Tucson or Pheonix, can't remember which. But the father son team, both called Ray to complicate things will look after you real nice.

Dad normally does the diving while son does the surf boat and fishing, Mum's called Nancy and she's kinda 'folksy' and makes good flapjacks for breakfast.

Get youself a 4 wheel drive from Kahn's Car hire in Nadi for the 8 days, believe me you'll need it! There's only one main Road called the Queens Highway and just keep on it down to the Coral Coast (1.25 hrs drive) and turn off to your right when you see their sign. (It's a single track 4kms long down to the resort. If you've ever seen Gilligan's Island, then this is it!

Tell Ray Senior, Brian sent you and that's another Fiji Gold Beer he owes me!!!

Get yourself David Stanley's Fiji Guide Book before you go.

This place is a lot cheaper than Marlin Bay or the Centra, take the full meal package and ask for the nearest Bure to the office as it's the largest, the other 2 are smaller, the very end one is prone to a lot of Mozzies, don't take that one!!

THe only other place is Lalati Resort, and it's over priced, don't go there, the folks who run it are Californians and charge like wounded bulls, be warned.

DSAO

Wiz

Oh yes you can get bad dive sites (or bad operators)

I bitterly regretted not having taken good advice from many experienced divers to dive with Crystal Divers - instead choosing one of the cheaper operations that work the hotels in the Nadi area. The dives were poorly organised - bordering on chaos at times - and I saw lots of very dead coral.

I did enjoy Kadavu (less than an hour's flight) staying and diving at Matava Resort. The Manta Rays and the sharks were great and there were some very impressive collections of hard coral.

Need help for the Mamanucas, Where should we stay and dive. Has Anyone been to Castaway??? Email me esquo@ hotmail.com

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom