Diving in Florida late Feb/early March - Junior Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you're flying in/out of FLL you should make at lest one dive at Blue Heron Bridge. It's free, and no boat needed. That's an amazing site and super easy (less than 20' deep). You can see starfish, octopi, various fish, nudibranchs, stingrays, and I've even seen a manatee there once. It's very time dependent so check the tide table (you can only do it at slack tide). I recommend hiring a guide from one of the local dive shops. I've had good experiences with both Force-E and Pura Vida Divers in that area and would recommend either. There's a newish "blue heron bridge scuba" shop that I think is onsite. I've done a boat dive with them once, and they were fine. Might be easiest logistics for rentals.

Tide Table: (so you can pick a time) https://ucd0b5c496995fa48372863f5e0...QDXKkUNbW3zovqz2Z16vTZis1qCw4PCBwv4KKdN-/file

Blue Heron Bridge Diving and Tides | Force-E Scuba Centers
Blue Heron Bridge Scuba - The Best Shore Diving in the Americas - Blue Heron Bridge Scuba
Pura Vida Divers : Discover South Florida SCUBA Diving - Florida SCUBA Diving at its BEST!

The location is actually at Phil Foster Park. Free parking, showers, restrooms.

If you get cold easily I would recommend a 5 mill it is easier to be warmer than it would be to try and warm up. The most important thing is that the suit fits well. You will be warmer in a well fitting 3mill than a 7mil that let's water flush. In short a well fitting 5 should do it.

Hi @SarahSue

You have been given good advice. Key Largo is a better choice than SE Florida for inexperienced divers. In addition, conditions in SE Florida are even more unpredictable than for Key Largo at that time of year.

I have no personal experience with Rainbow Reef, but they have a good reputation. Their many boats give great flexibility for choice of sites. I second the recommendation for guided dives, you probably don't need navigation to interfere with your enjoyment of your dives on your 1st visit to Florida.

The water temperature is at its lowest at that time of year, often in the low 70s. I think a 5 mm full suit would be prudent. I would have my hooded vest, a hood, or at least a beanie would extend your range. You might also consider light gloves.

Enjoy your trip, let us know how it goes

The water temperature is at its lowest at that time of year, often in the low 70s. I think a 5 mm full suit would be prudent. I would have my hooded vest, a hood, or at least a beanie would extend your range. You might also consider light gloves.
Just to be aware that if you go to Key Largo, you may not be allowed gloves. The reef is protected marine santuary and DM may tell you to remove gloves.

Just to be aware that if you go to Key Largo, you may not be allowed gloves. The reef is protected marine santuary and DM may tell you to remove gloves.
Good point. I have not dived in Key Largo, except for the Spiegel Grove, Duane, and Bibb, for some time. Gloves are allowed on the wrecks, I don't recall, on the reefs. You can easily inquire with your operator

Thank you everyone!! I really appreciate all the tips and advice!
One last question - I'm trying to evaluate if an Airbnb place or a hotel right near the operators will be better. It seems like I'll be able to find both at this point and just wondering if folks would highly recommend staying right in the city center instead of 5-10 miles out at a private residence.

I've never been asked to remove my gloves and never have while in the Keys. I've been out with several operators over the last decade or so.

Come to think of it, I don't think I've ever dove without gloves anywhere (775+ dives)

I was diving with Rainbow reef in the summer and was told to remove my gloves.

Interesting..... that may have to do with experience level. RR has allowed me a lot of freedom including diving solo (am so certified and have redundant gear). I've actually never used their guide service either. They usually let me jump in the water first and I tend to be one of the last back on.

They had no idea about my experience.
My group had no issue following a DM. Our choice. That’s why we went with RR.
Any other straws you want to grasp?

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom