Diving in Japan in May 2004? Please Help!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bethbsting

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
My husband and I will be going to Japan to visit a Japanese friend and his family. We plan to visit in May 2004 and spend about a week based in Fukouka on the Island of Kyushu. It is on the Eastern Channel. Are there any good dive ops and locations to dive on that Island in general or around Fukouka? We are also planning to make a few overnight trips to other areas in Japan, and spend a night or two in Tokyo. I hear the Fukouka is on the same latitude as Dallas, Texas.

So what are the temperatures of waters surrounding Japan? Will a 3 mm or 5 mm work in May? What type of regulators will work with air there?

We have about 15 dives logged (2 night). We will have some more dives logged between now and then and get the Advanced Open Water certification before our trip. We are PADI certified. Will there be any problems in Japan with PADI certs?
Anyone care to join us on one of the dives?
Any info and ideas will help! Thanks.

Beth

Hello Beth,

In generally speaking,
It will be around 18-21C so 5mm is needed at least.
A tank valve is yoke type, so no DIN type available. You should bring an adapter or need a rental gear.
PADI certs is valid and very well known because PADI-Japan is the largest agency.
Unfortunately I don't know info of Kyushu(Fukuoka).
If this will be the 1st time to Tokyo,no dive is recommended. I believe that a sightseeing is good for you.

No I lived in Japan for 1 month and visited many sights. Japan is a wonderful country!

OK, You already have enjoyed sightseeing so you should find KimLeece on the board.
Because he is living in Kyushu now You could obtain info about dive sites.

nori1841:
OK, You already have enjoyed sightseeing so you should find KimLeece on the board.
Because he is living in Kyushu now You could obtain info about dive sites.

Checked with a few divers down in Okinawa this weekend for diving up in Kyushu and they didn't have much good to say about it, but Kim might have some insight. If not come see us in Okinawa while your here, 3mm wetsuits mid-70's water temp and lots of coral.

Hi
Have to agree with Japan-diver. If you can get down to Okinawa, that will be world class. I live in the Tokyo area myself, but Osaka/Kyoto/Nara are really the best places to see traditional sightseeing stuff.

Some of the best diving in the mainland is a couple hours south of Tokyo on the Izu peninsula. That's where I dive on a regular basis. The east cost is where most of the sites are (busy) but the west coast has nice views of Mt. Fuji on clear days (see the picture I've attached). Really nice opportunity. On many days, it kinda floats in the distance like a ghost, like in this picture. There are also some freshwater lake sives you can do near the base of Fuji. I am going on one in June. Altitude there is about 900 meters.

You are free to contact me off list when you trip comes near, and I can see if there is any way I can hep you out with your trip, especially up in this area. Don't know about Kyushu at all, sorry.

JAG

It looks like we will try to get down to Okinawa for diving. I found a goos deal on ANA for non-Japanese residents. It is up to 5 flights anywhere in Japan for 11,500 yen per flight. I have been looking and flights are expensive from one Japanese city to another.

Thanks for the links about dive sites in Okinawa. Any English speaking DO's would be preferred.

Thanks for all your help and postings!

Yup
You are right, flying in Japan is ridiculously expensive, and that is a good deal you are getting. This spring, it cost me about 600 dollars round trip from Tokyo to Okinawa. For a bit less, I could have flown to the states.

In Okinawa, there is so much military (English speaking) presence, that you will get by with English just fine.

JAG

In Okinawa, Rick Ruth of Fathom Diving speaks english and non-military. He can arrange trips to the Keramas and local sites. You can also do some shore diving.

scubashooter:
In Okinawa, Rick Ruth of Fathom Diving speaks english and non-military. He can arrange trips to the Keramas and local sites. You can also do some shore diving.

His name is Rich Ruth and I think he was kicked out of PADI and is now IDEA. There are all kinds of instructors and divemasters on Okinawa that can help you. A majority speak english and are PADI pros. Try visiting www.dive-okinawa.com for a good instructor who can arrange anything you would want to do on island.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom