Diving in Johor with the Sultan - a Truly Malaysian Experience

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Isnt it as quick easy for you guys to hop over to Bali? The diving there is more shiok right?
Not if they're driving a boat from Singapore. It's less than 150 nautical miles from Singapore to Tioman while it's 1500 nautical miles to Bali.

Last edited:
Bali is definitely nicer diving but for weeekend getaways, I prefer LOBs to Tioman (or Anambas) rather than flights to Bali if I need to work Friday and Monday. I get more dives, less cost and much less hassle. Either way, you have a tough taxi ride on Friday evening but that's where the similarities end. With flights, immigration queues, Bali traffic, no-fly times, etc, the LOB trips are just more relaxing. Now if I had a few more days, I'd be happy to go to Bali, Manado, Phuket, etc. And a few more days... wow, I do live in a great place for diving, don't I? :p

Bali is definitely nicer diving but for weeekend getaways, I prefer LOBs to Tioman (or Anambas) rather than flights to Bali if I need to work Friday and Monday. I get more dives, less cost and much less hassle. Either way, you have a tough taxi ride on Friday evening but that's where the similarities end. With flights, immigration queues, Bali traffic, no-fly times, etc, the LOB trips are just more relaxing. Now if I had a few more days, I'd be happy to go to Bali, Manado, Phuket, etc. And a few more days... wow, I do live in a great place for diving, don't I? :p

Quit flaunting. Ha.

LOB to Tioman or Aur is definitely the way to go. Bus ride to Mersing and ferry ride to either location is a PITA. Not to mention the immigration.

I wonder how come no one thought of operating a LOB for wk that goes from Singapore - Aur - Tioman - Redang - Prehentian - Singapore. Am I missing something here?

My guess is that it's just not as good as one that goes Phuket - Similans - Surins - Richilieu Rock - Boon Song - Phuket or Labuan Bajo - Komodo - LB or Male - where the mantas are - Male or any of the other options available. I think that the diving off peninsular Malaysia is quite good, and potentially outstanding for decent short trips from KL or Singapore but if I had a week in the region and enough money to do a LOB, I'd go elsewhere even if that meant spending the LOB budget on airfares and cheaper diving, if it had to come to that. Just my opinion. :)

OK Zippsy. Please advise me. I expect to be in Sing with timing around late Dec and most of January, where do you believe will best, easiest and most convenient for me (perhaps my bro in law) least expensive etc etc? ?

My guess is that it's just not as good as one that goes Phuket - Similans - Surins - Richilieu Rock - Boon Song - Phuket or Labuan Bajo - Komodo - LB or Male - where the mantas are - Male or any of the other options available. I think that the diving off peninsular Malaysia is quite good, and potentially outstanding for decent short trips from KL or Singapore but if I had a week in the region and enough money to do a LOB, I'd go elsewhere even if that meant spending the LOB budget on airfares and cheaper diving, if it had to come to that. Just my opinion. :)

I hear you. But it is a PITA to go from Singapore to Prehentian and Redang as wknd trip. One can't really pull it off w/o taking Mon and Fri off. The bus ride or the train ride is a killer and not to mention the cab ride to the jetty. I just think that if there is a LOB that would go from SGP to Redang and Prehentian and swing by Aur and Tioman on the way there would be pretty cool. Besides, I would think the cost of a LOB trip will be cheaper than a wk long trip to PKT/Similan or LB/Komodo.

---------- Post added August 14th, 2013 at 05:51 PM ----------

OK Zippsy. Please advise me. I expect to be in Sing with timing around late Dec and most of January, where do you believe will best, easiest and most convenient for me (perhaps my bro in law) least expensive etc etc? ?

Not Zippy, but I will chime in.

Cheapest - Pulau Hantu. All the East side of the Malaysia Peninsula shuts down late Oct/early Nov because of the monsoon season. It does not open back up until March so Tioman, Aur, Redang, and Prehentian are out of the question for you. Every dive operation in SGP goes to Hantu during this period of time for its wknd dive trip.

Easiest - See above.

Most Convenient - See above.

Best - Well, this opens up few options. But it won't be the easiest or the most convenient options. You can go to Bali, Gili, Lombok, Komodo, Manado, and all the Indonesia dive sites. Or, you will be here just in time as Phuket and Similan are opening up from their own monsoon season. I believe it will open on Oct 15th of this year.

Just some food for your thoughts and I am sure that Zippy will be able to provide more detailed info. :D

Thanks for your input. Maybe I have to go to Angkor Wat instead and skip some dives. (Grumpy and sad now)

Angkor Wat is amazing and you'll be glad you went. From there you can come here to Thailand (which is next door to Cambodia), and catch a short liveaboard to the Similans. Let me know if you need advice.

CarcharodonCarcharias is spot on. Hantu would be only good if you can't leave Singapore and you are desperate to get wet. In December - January, if you can get away for three days, Bali or Phuket day trips are easy. If you can get away for five days, Phuket LOBs, Lembeh and Bali should be high on the list. Seven days? You can start thinking about Sipadan or the Maldives. Eight Days? Rajah Ampat would be awesome at that time.

:hijack:

Thanks for your input. Maybe I have to go to Angkor Wat instead and skip some dives. (Grumpy and sad now)

For Angkor Wat, Nov to Feb is the peak season because it is dry and cool. So most likely you will find yourself visiting the temple with tons of ppl.

My advice for AW is book in advance - your flights, hotel, and driver+guide. Just my two cents - definitely get a driver and guide for AW. It will make the experience much more worthwhile.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom