Diving in Johor with the Sultan - a Truly Malaysian Experience

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Amazing, ain't it? Well, at least he will have the islands to himself now. No mention of the island where the original boat was detained but I am sure they'll find a way to stop diving there anyway. Malaysia boleh!

BTW, he didn't mention anything about the lawless situation in his state and the soaring crime rate, did he?

Amazing, ain't it? Well, at least he will have the islands to himself now. No mention of the island where the original boat was detained but I am sure they'll find a way to stop diving there anyway. Malaysia boleh!

BTW, he didn't mention anything about the lawless situation in his state and the soaring crime rate, did he?

I am going to hold my judgment on this one and see how it goes. I think it is a good thing that the the marine habitat gets a reprieve and as long as the money collected goes to the stated cause, then I am ok with it.

But it is Malaysia so who knows.

Also, I think the at $200 RM ($80 SGD/$60 USD) per day is a bit too much. I am sure that sooner or later, the local economy is going to suffer.

My guess is that it might be in place for a couple of years until the locals realize that their wallets are getting way too thin and demand a repeal.

Again, it is Malaysia. So who knows.

I did not realize that the crime rate is soaring in Johor. I mean MY has always been a bit of a lawlessness built into it. I do know that lately there have been shootings and car bombs exploding in Penang and KL. But I thought that is just a part of cest la vie in Malaysia.

Hope your buddy's issue gets resolved soon and gets his boat back.

I think this new law will have an impact on the dive shops in Singapore. That is one destination less for the weekend dive jaunts.

The Marine Park Fee was M$5 (US$1.50) per entry. The new rate is US$61 per day. If I recall correctly, Raja Ampat is about US$104 per entry. Pulau Aur just must be so much better. My guess is that everyone will just head to Tioman and rates will go up there. LOBs from Singapore will mostly go to Indonesia with the occasional trip to Tioman. Dive resorts on Aur & Dayang will probably end up closing down and the Sultana will be happy. Several dive shops in Singapore will scale back and only offer longer trips outside of peninsular Malaysia. Aur is already in a Marine Park and fishing, taking of and damage to coral, etc. are already banned but we know how that works - it doesn't. I think the only chages will be exactly what the Sultana wants - the islands to himself. Note, these are all my guesses - I'll be happy if history proves me wrong.

Finally, the boat was returned after a substantial fine and a month or two. I understand that the owner has now gone out of business.

Well they are his Islands!

But seriously, I think there would justification in setting a more reasonable marine park fee. $1.50 is a joke when you look at the money charged by operators going up from Singapore. Obviously 200RM is too much, but perhaps 50RM would be reasonable?

I do wonder if he's targeting the Malaysian resorts or the Singaporean operators?

I'm pretty sure he's targetting getting everyone off "his" islands. I put that in quotes though as I am certainly no expert on Malaysian law. I would, however, be surprised if the Sultana had that kind of legal power. There is an elected government up in Malaysia, isn't there?

Craptocracy.. and marine parks will get ...$1 ringgit if lucky ..guess where the other $$ of proceeds will go to.. Ive lived in malaysia long enough to know that money talks as easily as it walks..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom