Diving in Krabi/Phuket??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

there was a 3m one there when we were there, and we almost landed on it when we jumped in, but the vis was down to under 5m at times, which is great if you want to see whale sharks, but pretty crap if you want to photograh stuff.

check the photo's on my site.

we found marina divers the best in Kata/karon, they also have specials where you stay free while doing a course, and i think if you book a lot of diving through them as well, but check to make sure.

Hi TigerShark,
Thanks for thinking that I can afford such expensive place :)
Sorry the price of one hut per night is between 1,300 to 2,400 Baht. Don't know how much would that be in other currency. And there only 15 huts in all, a bit lonely during the day, when every body else go diving.
Can't find their web, or maybe they don't have one.
When I want to go, already book for 10 of my friend's cousin in December, all of them non-divers, I used the owner/manager/janitor (no kidding) e-mail which is moo1953@hotmail.co.

Still wish I have enough money to stay at Rayawadee or better LOB on Aqua 1.

The UK government are advising travellers to use extreme caution at the moment traveling to any SE Asia country and only if you have to travel.

which is a bit of a bugger, and hopefully things will improve next year as my wife is Thai and we want to go back with our baby (it is due in March) for a trip later next year, so her friends and family can see the baby.

religion causes 9/10ths of all problems in the world, the man upstairs has a lot to answer for!

The UK government is covering itself just in case. Thailand is the last place you'd expect any trouble. Very different politics and religion and way of life compared to other countries in the SE Asia region. You can't say it'll never happen here, but Thailand always feels safe.

A pity that some people are "appalled" by Phuket. I think if you stay in Patong Beach and don't like girlie bars then it's not pleasant. But it's a very big island. A little exploration takes you to places far off the beaten track. Several smaller beaches and beautiful jungle scenery are easily found. As for the diving, I chose to live and work in Phuket because it offers the Similan Islands. This was my whole reason for coming here in the first place. I found, and still find, Patong to be overcrowded, dusty, dirty and ugly. Other parts of the island are totally different.

Another myth is that it is expensive here. Generally, hotels cater to "tourists" as opposed to "travellers", but I know several hotels close to me which have rooms from 250-300 Baht. Food is as cheap as anywhere else in Thailand if you eat at local restaurants and not at the beachside tourist places. My friend from Koh Tao was amazed to come here for the first time and find it so cheap - even cheaper than Koh Tao for many things. Just lacking that groovy backpacker hammock and dope vibe.

Anyway, Thailand is No.1 wherever you go! I just want to try and set the record straight about my home island.

Sunrise once bubbled...
The UK government is covering itself just in case. Thailand is the last place you'd expect any trouble. Very different politics and religion and way of life compared to other countries in the SE Asia region. You can't say it'll never happen here, but Thailand always feels safe.

Not true: SouthWest Thailand is mainly muslim and I understand why the British Government should advise people not to go there.

A pity that some people are "appalled" by Phuket. I think if you stay in Patong Beach and don't like girlie bars then it's not pleasant. But it's a very big island. A little exploration takes you to places far off the beaten track. Several smaller beaches and beautiful jungle scenery are easily found. As for the diving, I chose to live and work in Phuket because it offers the Similan Islands. This was my whole reason for coming here in the first place. I found, and still find, Patong to be overcrowded, dusty, dirty and ugly. Other parts of the island are totally different.
[/B][/QUOTE]

I have a name and a face if you care to look at my profile.

You don't like being criticized, neither do I.

May I remind you that you can easily move out from Krabi to Phuket (slightly more than two hours by public transportation) and take all the cruises to the Similans you can afford?

And please, I never said Thailand was expensive, I have very good friends, but nothing you say or show will EVER convince me to go back to Phuket.

Anyway, Thailand is No.1 wherever you go! I just want to try and set the record straight about my home island.

Again not true: visibility is poor, you might like to go and have a look at the Red Sea for a change.

scuba734 once bubbled...
Hi TigerShark,
Thanks for thinking that I can afford such expensive place :)
Sorry the price of one hut per night is between 1,300 to 2,400 Baht. Don't know how much would that be in other currency. And there only 15 huts in all, a bit lonely during the day, when every body else go diving.
Can't find their web, or maybe they don't have one.
When I want to go, already book for 10 of my friend's cousin in December, all of them non-divers, I used the owner/manager/janitor (no kidding) e-mail which is moo1953@hotmail.co.

Still wish I have enough money to stay at Rayawadee or better LOB on Aqua 1.

Hi Scuba734,

tks again for your info.....cheese......i was hoping to find something even cheaper...haha.....just joking......but it sure is nice.....will try out one day...

So the name is Blue Village??

Hey Chiara,

I am not criticizing you. Just stating my opinion as a Phuket resident and, in fact, agreeing with you that some areas are ugly and best left alone.

I never said that you said Thailand was expensive ( I was comparing Phuket to other areas in Thailand ).

There are lots of muslims in Phuket, phi phi, Krabi, oh and England, the USA, well ... everywhere. Muslim people does not mean trouble. I think to throw a blanket over the whole region and whole religion and call it dangerous is over the top. (Again that is not a criticism of you but of the British Goverment)

Visibility is Similan is usually 25-30m. Occasionally not so good. I don't have enough money to get to the Red Sea. Working as a diving Instructor with a family to raise doesn't allow it. Anyway, the whole Red Sea area is crawling with Muslims. Must be unsafe, eh? (PS I'm joking)

Sunrise once bubbled...
Hey Chiara,

I never said that you said Thailand was expensive ( I was comparing Phuket to other areas in Thailand ).

Krabi is cheaper than Phuket, at least for diving, you can find cheap accomodation in both places.

Visibility is Similan is usually 25-30m. Occasionally not so good. I don't have enough money to get to the Red Sea. Working as a diving Instructor with a family to raise doesn't allow it. Anyway, the whole Red Sea area is crawling with Muslims. Must be unsafe, eh? (PS I'm joking) [/B]

Not everyone can afford a cruise to the Similans, either on economic terms or because of sea-sickness (I'm in the second group).

And BTW the Red Sea is much cheaper than SEA.

As for Muslim countries, I've got a whole two-weeks trips planned to the Maldives at the end of January, hope they will still be there (only half-joking).

Hey Sunrise,

should i dive in Phuket, you are the man i can look for ??

Frankly speaking,next year i intend to dive Phuket with my friends but after the Bali incident,we sort of re-consider our plans....
:(

TigerShark,
Yes, the name is blue Village and it has a dvie shop as well. Unluckily, I can't remember whether the dive shop is called Sea Fan or Blue Shark (Krabi). (Think I need some vitamin)

I think about what I am going to say for a long time, how to say this in a nice and unpersonal way.

I think Sunrise is correct in saying that we can not lump either one religion or one nation, and say they are all bad. And don't think that just being a Muslim, a Hindu, a Buddhist or a Christian is or creates trouble in itself. But conflict and/or problems come from the realtionship between two or more parties. Thus, in Thailand, our King gives support to every religion, in Thailand. Even in histroy, we had never used religion to penalize or reward people. Christians and Muslins were given land to build their church or Mosque, and even till today, the Royal family will preside over any religiuos events. Please bear with me. This I think is part or a major part of why the Thais or foreigners who have lived, feel the same way as Sunrise do.

Back
Top Bottom