Diving in Maine

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

idratherbedivin

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey. I will be up in Maine this summer working as a camp counselor in Waterford about an hour drive from Portland inland. I will be there for 8 weeks and will have 7 or 8 days off and I really can't go 8 weeks without at least a couple dives so I need some ideas. Are there any good places to dive that I could make a day trip out of. Also my camp is on a lake and I would like to rent some gear and dive it just to check it out. If you know of any good dive shops near Waterford I would really appreciate your response.

Our first time camping was in Waterford at Papoose Pond, look what happened:
http://home.gwi.net/~spectrum/camping.html

There are some freshwater sites but IMO they are refuge from bad seas, not destinations. The fun is in the ocean. A day can easilly be made working the Cape Elizabeth sites of Ship Cove (Fort Williams), Two Lights and Kettle Cove. Portland has 2 dive shops that set you up with air/cylinders, etc.

Be sure to have your C Card at Kettle Cove, the ranger will write you a free State Park system permit for the site for the season.

There are other options but this is one of the best combinations of sites and support resources.

PM me as the time draws near, maybe we can meet up.

Pete

Pete is quite right about the ocean dives versus the lake dives. Though I well understand about the number of lakes you have access to from Waterford. Pete is also right on concerning Kettle Cove. Both dive shops in Portland are for the most part on the way to those sites he mentioned.

There are great sites north along the coast as well, but you are looking at more travel time from Waterford. There are a few scattered dive shops northward, but also can take some time in getting to.

Having taught scuba at summer camps, I know well what a camp couselor schedule is like, so I am sure your time off to dive may be sudden and may be limited. PM me as well, and maybe we can form an outing.

Dennis--

Thanks a lot. I'm glad I will be able to get in at least a couple dives. My schedule for when I have my days off and nights off will be set at the beginning of the camp season but I won't know it until I get up there. I go up there June 17th and come back August 11th and have about 7 days off. I will try to pm you guys when I will be able to dive but there is only one computer at the camp that has any access to internet so it may be kind of hard. I'll try my best though. Since I will only be 17, do you know if the dive shops will rent me gear without some release form from my parents?

Back
Top Bottom