Diving in May: Bunaken or South Leyte (PH) or Malapascua (PH)?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Divethrough

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Hi guys,
I am 35, currently live nearby Kuala Lumpur, got 150 logged dives and been to several places in Indonesia, Malaysia and Thailand.

For my last 2 weeks here I am looking for dive sites within a flight price range of max. 250$ return to any country.
Therefore I thought about going either to Bunaken Islands (Panorama, went there twice already) or something new like South Leyte (Peter´s) or Malapascua (any Acc.?).

Because I am traveling alone I would appreciate a place to hang out with others for some evenings but NOT partying.
My budget is only 15-25$ / night.

I am interested in muck, small stuff, fish schools and colorful corals. No need for wrecks or simply watching sharks passing by.

Which of the places would you recommend to me?
I was told it´s getting close to low season - is the weather still manageable?

Thanks for any hint.
Cheers
Thomas

My hubby and I have been lucky enough to have gone to all three areas and loved them. I have also been to Malapascua and Southern Leyte by myself.

You don't need many divers to have fun chilled out chats over dinner and on the boats . I was very fortunate and met great people in Southern Leyte. The diving there is probably the best of all three and it's the cheapest. However Malapascua has a very special atmosphere , it's incredibly hard to see threshers elsewhere and the beach is wonderful. The wall around Bunaken is as beautiful as people say , but you have been there before.

You could go to Leyte , where the diving is fabulous and you might see a whaleshark and then go to Malapascua for the second week if it's too quiet....or if you like it just stay.

Try to fly into Cebu, there is now a brilliant fast ferry to southern leyte twice a day.

Have a great trip !

Alright, thanks mate. It seems I am going to Leyte. Just need to figure out the ferry schedules.

I have been to all these three places and they are difference in every aspect. Love them all.
Peter's in Leyte has dorm bed while Matt at Evolution in Malapascua should be able to find you economical lodging.
If you find yourself with time to kill in Cebu while waiting for the ferry, go to SM Mall.

@AlMitch: I ve been to Blue bay Divers before - it´s my absolute favorite resort but because I am on a tight budget it´s out of question this time.
@Centrals: I might go to Malapascua as well, depending on my mood. Thanks for the resort recommendation.

How is the food like (pricewise) at Peter´s place?

Info for the forum: Gloria G-1 ferry departing pier 3 at 2:30pm arriving Hilongos at 6pm. Shuttle bus to Padre burgos is available for booking while you are onboard. Trip duration is 1 1/2 hr drive.

How is the food like (pricewise) at Peter´s place?

Info for the forum: Gloria G-1 ferry departing pier 3 at 2:30pm arriving Hilongos at 6pm. Shuttle bus to Padre burgos is available for booking while you are onboard. Trip duration is 1 1/2 hr drive.
1. It has been a while, 3-4yrs, since I last dived at Peter's. Food was fine and not expensive but the resort is very isolated. Make sure you dive the jetty(night dive) if it is available.
2. Weesam also has schedule going to Maasin which is closer to Padre Bugos. Check it out.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom