Diving in New Zealand

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SCUBAMedic

Reaction score
Just came in to check out what was being posted about my home town New Zealand NOT MUCH

If anyone is down this way we have some funtastic diving, yes it is sub tropical 13 - 21 degrees C. just a couple of dive highlights is the Poor Knights a marine reserve of the the top of the north island, 20+ meter vis huge underwater arch ways amasing fish life of all discriptions. Last week dived there with a dozen Bronze Whaler sharks, at the other end of the scale heaps of cool little nudis and amasing colours. The rainbow warror is another outstanding dive sunk by the french in 85 refloted and sunk again 30m a wounderful dive. And lastly New Zealands great untapped dive site Stweart island at the bottom of the Mainland nature before man, and just one more Milford Sounds upto 18m of fresh water sitting on 250m of sea water, one of the few place where u can safely dive on black coral - on one dive there during the safety stop we had a seal, blue shark and a mother and baby dolphin come to visit.

So if you are planning a trip down under don't 4get about NZ

Hi mate.
What's the best time to go?
I'm probably going to NZ in a couple of months and would like to have some good diving.
Everybody talks about this Poor Knights so it should be really great!

Eric Cartman:
Hi mate.
What's the best time to go?
I'm probably going to NZ in a couple of months and would like to have some good diving.
Everybody talks about this Poor Knights so it should be really great!
Now is the best time Cartman. Once the water warms up all the kelp and fish start to spawn and reduces the viz down to a terrible 15-20 metres or so. It was about 50+ 5 weeks ago

Hey fellow kiwi, Its great to have a place where everyone all over the world can chat.
I enjoy diving sailors grave and coromandel areas the most.

what's the seawater temperature at this time in let's say, the poor knights? I'm heading out of auckland (hopefully this weekend, after buying a car) and head for whangarei or tutukaka. Want to do my AOW and rescue course and a lot of diving ofcourse. I've been diving in tropical waters only, do you think I've to adjust to the (much) cooler waters of NZ? Might try a drysuit course also, but only if I can't cope with the seawater temperatures at this time of year... Guess I'll just have to give it a go and see for myself, right? ;-)

Is there any good (and free ;-)) snorkelling around the poor Knights or just offshore Tutukaka. Is it possible to just rent some gear and hop in?
I will check out DIVE!tutukaka when I'm there...

Its getting rather tropical now. 2 weeks ago the water temp in Auckland was 13 deg. It may be a little higher at the Knights maybe 14.
I dive a prodive 6.5mm wetsuit and to be honest I havent really felt that cold all winter, but I supose it depends what you are used to.
Oh yeah I got a great car to sell you. Nissan 300zx let me know if you want to take it for a test dive. oops I mean drive.

Wow, mate, just got to Auckland today and it's just freezing! Even out of the water! It should be around 10 degrees or something in the sun!
I was wondering how you can even consider diving in weather like this !!! :) LOL
Anyway, how much do you want for the car? It's probably better to stay in land...

Harden up its sping time and great diving weather. A group of us are off to Leigh tomorrow morning for a few dives. How long are you guys here for? Id love to get back up to the Poor Knights, when are you heading up there?

My car could be yours for only $1
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=69357469

Well, I've no idea of when we're gonna dive as this freezing temperature here in Auckland doesn't really put me in the mood for gettin in the water...
Also where do you guys usually live here? I'm staying just off Queens street but prices here are absurdly high. I can't find any studio apartment for less than 350 a week (and that's withouth parking spot)...
I'm sure sure I could get a bigger and better place off the CBD for around the same price, couldn't I? Where do you suggest me to look?
Cheers, mate!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom