Diving in Ogonquit, ME

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

edasque

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all,

I might be staying for a week in Ogonquit, ME walking distance from Perkins Cove this summer. I will probably be 'working from home' there and am thinking I could get a dive in before every work day (and maybe a few night dives).

I never dove in Maine and even less in Ogonquit. Is there good shore diving around that would make this plan a good one? Anything to look for?

Regards,

Erik

If you can dive safely go for it. Maine is above the temperate filter zone and you get some very unique cold water critters up their that don't pass through that filter to down here.

Look for lumpfish, sea cucumbers, giant lobster and an occasional wolf fish and more.

Enjoy the clear Caribbean like cool water also. I loved diving in Maine as one of my favorites ever.

Nubble light is a great shore dive and is a relatively short drive from Ogunquit. Easy parking (at least during the week), on site bathrooms, generally protected and nice underwater scenery.

I agree with Large Diver...Nubble is your best bet. It's only 15 min away and a great early morning site before the tourist arrive.

You may also want to look at Maine Divers Scuba Center's web site. Pete has a detailed breakdown of the local dive sites from Kittery to Portland.Worth a look IMHO.

David

Agree with above, Nubble is your best bet. We dove out in front of Perkin's Cove once, what an adventure and total waste. It is doable but just a terrible dive, lousy visiblity and sand, lots of sand.

Now I have looked down in that harbor at Perkin's Cove and thought that would be a blast and quite the treasure hunt, I also suspect the Harbor Master would frown on said activity and the boat traffic would require a kevlar wetsuit.

There are a few decent shore dives in the Portland area Cape Elizabeth Kettle Cove and Ships Cove, check with Maine Divers Scuba center you may find a group going out and can join up with them.

Agree with above, Nubble is your best bet. We dove out in front of Perkin's Cove once, what an adventure and total waste. It is doable but just a terrible dive, lousy visiblity and sand, lots of sand.

Now I have looked down in that harbor at Perkin's Cove and thought that would be a blast and quite the treasure hunt, I also suspect the Harbor Master would frown on said activity and the boat traffic would require a kevlar wetsuit.

What???? you swim out Perkins cove and go around the corner to the south. There are large boulders, lots of structure, fish and decent diving. I prefer it to Nubble light, but the light house has such an easy access and provides protection as well.

Take your sorb with you, and plan on diving air dil. Maine Divers center says they teach tech, so I imagine you can get your O2 fills there.

Didn't think beach diving would get deep enough for me to take my rebreather though. Was going to just single dive, probably.

Take your sorb with you, and plan on diving air dil. Maine Divers center says they teach tech, so I imagine you can get your O2 fills there.

No O2 that I know of at Maine Divers. I may be in the future.

Aqua Dive Academy on Commercial Street in Portland can provide it.

Nubble is nice and there are a lot of fun beach dives from Kittery to Cape Elizabeth. My wife wants to get in at Perkins Cove, the trick is timing it for conditions and accessibility.

Dive Sites.

Pete

Back
Top Bottom