Diving in PA????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pipedope

Contributor
Rest in Peace
Reaction score
Due to a variety of things happening at one time I am moving to (probably central) PA next week.

Any suggestions as to dive spots/shops?

Anybody need a tired old, half worn out, inland commercial diver/jack of most trades in the area?

I will probably be offline after tuesday morning.

thanks

Central PA can be a large area. Harrisburg? Altoona? State College?

Some Central PA Quarries:

Bainbridge (20 minutes south of Harrisburg)
www.divebsc.com/

Willow Springs (40 minutes east of Harrisburg) www.willowspringspark.com

Dutch Springs (90 minutes east of Harrisburg)www.dutchsprings.com/

Wabank AquaCulture (30 minutes east of Harrisburg) www.musubteam.com/locdiving/wabank.html

Some Central Pa Dive Shops:

Harrisburg Scuba Center members.aol.com/harrisburgscuba/

Smokey's Divers Den (30 minutes east of Harrisburg)
www.smokeysdiversden.com/

York Divers (30 minutes south of Harrisburg) www.yorkdivers.com/

Quite a few divers from Central Pa travel (3 to 5 hours from Harrisburg) to the coast (NJ, DE, MD) for wreck diving. Smokey's appears to have a group who regularly dive from the Surface Interval and Seeker. I haven't been on any of these trips but Smokey's has a mail list that provides weekly dive reports if you'd like to know more about them.

-Jeff
Hershey, PA

Probably south of Punxsutawney with semi-regular visits to State College.

Welll The closest shop would be in Brockport right off I80 DR Divers....other shops are 2- 3 hours away none of them I would recommend.... Dives sites that I know of are not close. Treasure Lake near Dubois is one but it's not real interesting. Lake Erie is excellent from may thru october depending on the weather. Within an hour drive south of State College There are 6 quarries, 2 caves( real nasty) and the largest lake within PA boundires Lake Raystown which offers some challenging diving. I will PM you a name of a diver close by so you can contact him when you get to PA. I travel out that way alot if you can't find a buddy maybe we can get together sometime. Good Luck with your move...

......generally sucks if you're looking for the variety outside of Quarries. I live in Philly and it's nice being close to the NJ Wreck diving, but that gets expensive.

So if you're looking for general open water diving that's relatively inexpensive, it just ain' there, and I'm still looking.

Finally I came across this website that indicates a little bit more, but you receive little or no feeback, and maybe there's a good reason, I wouldn't know.

But maybe some folks out there can offer more info on this:

http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/stateparks/recreation/scuba.htm#philadelphia

Speaking of diving in PA, did anyone catch the news of that 12 ft fossile divers found in the upper Susquehenna?

A buddy informed on the phone, let me know if anyone on the board comes across an article.

In response to diverjed, the northern section of that susquennah dive contains PA's best kept diving secret, and I have done it, and I must admit that the selfish side in me does not want to share the interesting aspects of the dive with other divers.

:mean: Sorry!

But that is PA's best kept diving secret, and for now I will not turn it into a diving trek.

But maybe soon.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom