Diving in Puerto Rico

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi there - I actually signed up for this board about 10 days ago to read up on what people were saying about diving in Puerto Rico. I had a last minute opportunity to go to PR and thought, surely there is some good diving there...I liked what I read on here and since I just returned last night (6/20/2011) - I thought I'd post what we did, while it was still fresh in my memory.

We dove with Taino Divers in Rincon and absolutely loved it. I had read some good, some bad about the dive shops in the area. I honestly think it just depends on what your personality is like. The guys at Taino were very safety oriented, however, if you can't imagine yourself having a beer with them...well then they may not be the group for you. They were funny and easy going - but as I mentioned - safety was 1st on their list. One of the divers we had - was a first time diver (after being certified in a lake - so no ocean diving). They were very patient and thorough with him - constantly asking his oxygen level and making sure he was comfortable. As for those of us who were repeat divers - they were informative about the specifics of the dive and our diving briefs were great. I would say they said enough to be safe, but not enough to be long-winded. We were lucky, as there were only 6 divers total on our trip and the weather cooperated rather nicely. We dove two sites at Deseceho Island...both teeming with sea life and our dive master was as good as any I've had at pointing out where the "less frequently" seen sea life would be. The visability at both locations was terrific. Like Roger above has mentioned - the waters in PR are quite rough. The trip out to the island was fine - but coming back was pretty intense. The dive shop had said it would be rough and before we left the dive site to come back in - he re-iterated the fact. Asked for volunteers to take one for the team and sit on the side of the boat that would get the most water. I can only liken it to riding a jet ski in the ocean or riding the log ride or raging river ride at an amusement park. You are going to get drenched - unlike the log ride - the drenching doesn't stop after the drop...it just keeps coming. We laughed our butts off and just went with it for the 30 mins in which it is really rough. Thankfully, the last 10-15 mintues of the ride - the water seems to calm down quite a bit.

More on Taino Dive Shop - Right now and who knows for how long, since a local made a joke about it...they do not have a dock for loading and unloading (they are hoping within the year that the marina gets updated with a dock). You must climb aboard the vessel and help with loading and unloading equipment. I see diving as a team sport although it is very individual...so this did not bother me - in fact, I would say it built comraderie and trust with our fellow divers. We had to pass equipment to one another - from the truck to the boat. It turned out to be quite fun. However, if you're not one for manual labor - this may not work for you. Like I said, the "team" made it fun and we all were laughing and enjoying the experience. The climb aboard is easy from shore - but I did wonder how a disabled diver would embark. I certainly didn't feel guilty from the calories I consumed once we returned to the dive shop and I had a beer at the adjoining bar/grill (The Shipwreck). They had great service and the food had great favor. Neat atomsphere. Its not a cheap joint - I think its right about what I'd pay at home for a flavorful meal. Just make sure you apply your OFF! bug spray. I think I have counted 32 bites on my legs/ankles alone. I would recommend Taino Divers without reservation if you're adventureous and don't mind a little heavy lifting for the reward in the end...

Taino Divers worked out great for us...I posted a more lengthy description...but message me if you want any details.

I dove with Taino Divers out of Rincon, PR (West Side of Island) and it was a blast.

TainoDivers

(787) 823-6429

There is shore diving off the beach at crash boat on the north west side of the Island.

More on Taino Dive Shop - Right now and who knows for how long, since a local made a joke about it...they do not have a dock for loading and unloading (they are hoping within the year that the marina gets updated with a dock). You must climb aboard the vessel and help with loading and unloading equipment. I see diving as a team sport although it is very individual...so this did not bother me - in fact, I would say it built comraderie and trust with our fellow divers. We had to pass equipment to one another - from the truck to the boat. It turned out to be quite fun. However, if you're not one for manual labor - this may not work for you. Like I said, the "team" made it fun and we all were laughing and enjoying the experience. The climb aboard is easy from shore - but I did wonder how a disabled diver would embark. I would recommend Taino Divers without reservation if you're adventureous and don't mind a little heavy lifting for the reward in the end...

We dove with them about three years ago, and the story about the marina was the same. The issue appears to be whether the Federal government will let them re-dredge the entrance, thus you have confirmed my suspicions when we heard the "in about a year or so" story back then. It may never happen. Plus, have to agree with you about issues with divers with other health concerns (bad backs, bum knees, etc.). While these types of health concerns may not keep us from diving, they do present issues when you have a situation like this.

This notwithstanding, can't disagree that Taino runs a good op. We just wish the situation in La Parguera would clear up, and we could get confirmation of a reliable dive shop down there. We felt that the wall diving was actually superior to diving Desecheo.

Hi I make some comment about the post of 2011 Puerto Rico Dive Trip Report:

I sorry that your experience during your visit was not good, and the weather was also bad, but the areas that you dive in terms of Fajardo and Humacao have rivers that make the visibility of the water bad if is raining. The dates that you mention you have a lot of rain.

First – the island have a total of 18 PADI dive stores (not including the SSI, and NAUI facilities) in an approximately 580 km of land. (For a GIS map you can use http://gis.otg.gobierno.pr/maptest/) So we have a lot of diving areas, and a lot of people that love to dive.

Second - In term of protect the resources that we have – only I can tell that we have 27 Reserves (without the protected state and federal forest areas) Planos de Delimitación de las Reservas Naturales — Puerto DRNA "Navega por el ambiente" (see the maps for more information)
This is done by the Department of Natural and Environmental Resources (DNER). Other groups like the Puerto Rico Conservation Trust – they protect other areas Fideicomiso de Conservación de Puerto Rico - Directorio de Negocios y Servicios de Puerto Rico | ZonaIsla.com

The DNER – play an important role with the Dive Stores to keep a mooring system in Fajardo, Guanica, Parguerra, Culebra, Vieques, Desecheo, and Mona. Para evitar daños al fondo marino, DRNA instala boyas de amarre en Reserva La Parguera en Lajas — Puerto DRNA "Navega por el ambiente" Like Florida, Hawaii and other areas is expensive and some areas in this moment don’t have mooring system. But we are working with this.

So I visit Florida and Texas, I don’t like the place I go, I don’t like some of the experience with the dive stores or the places. But before make an opinion I look for information, and before I make a comment in a forum I check if all the information I provide is correct. Puerto Rico is a small Island; people are good and proud of their natural resources. The dive industry is great, also our dive places. If the weather is not good we sorry but we are in a Tropical Region. We can’t control the environment, but I am very clear that all the dive operation that are in PR make the impossible, so our guest feel the magic of our Island and return. Thanks Joel

I will be going to Puerto Rico on 18 Aug 2011 diving with WEST DIVERS will give full report and going to dive CULEBRA while im there for a week

Back
Top Bottom