Diving in Punta Cana

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JnJ

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Does anyone have any recommendations for a dive company in Punta Cana? My wife and I are still rather novice divers, any things to look out for around the Dominican Republic? Any tips, advice and anecdotes are welcome.

Dressel Divers! I had a wonderful experience during my advanced open water cert with them. Felt very safe and DMs seemed interested in my learning. I even had a personal DM for two of the adventure dives. Very multicultural feeling: one of my DMs was Italian, one Spaniard, one Russian... not that that changes the quality of the instruction, was just a fun observation. I would recommend the Catalina Island excursion as the visibility is much better on the Caribbean side (90+ ft).

My wife and I did our OW with Pelicano Punta Cana... we were happy with their service. The diving is pretty poor in general, but if I got looped into going back I'm sure I'd do a few dives and enjoy the warm water...

My wife and I did our OW with Pelicano Punta Cana... we were happy with their service. The diving is pretty poor in general, but if I got looped into going back I'm sure I'd do a few dives and enjoy the warm water...

What locales are you comparing to (in Caribbean that is)? Thx

What locales are you comparing to (in Caribbean that is)? Thx

St. Croix, Bonaire, Key Largo, Ft. Lauderdale Area, Roatan, and Cozumel.

In my opinion, and speaking solely from a single experience, the driving in Punta Canna had poor viability (15'-20'), large waves (4' to 6'), not much of a reef, and was lacking marine life... ymmv...

Does anyone have any recommendations for a dive company in Punta Cana? My wife and I are still rather novice divers, any things to look out for around the Dominican Republic? Any tips, advice and anecdotes are welcome.

Booked already? There are things to be careful of in DR. I did Puerto Plata a few years ago with dressel. They tried to overcharge me a good amount more than what we had agree upon but my bank got it straight in the end.

Punta Cana is more lively than PP. I have a buddy who's been to the DR about 7 times last I heard. PP diving was good, but there is better out there.

We got a super cheap travel deal to go there, so I want to make the best of it when we go. How long did it take to get to the good dive sites by boat?

We will likely go do some inland excursions/sightseeing as well so this isn't a diving only adventure for us.

I'll compare Dressel Divers and Pelicano and see which one is the best fit for us. Thank you all for the information.

I used the resort dive shop at Breathless. Did it as part of the Catalina excursion already mentioned. 1.5hr bus ride both ways to the boat. Diving was ok, it was a chance to get wet. Didn't see anything special. The beach on Catalina was gorgeous, and I spent quite a bit of time floating/swimming in the water.

I used scubaquatica and was happy with the service overall. Did 6 dives in Atlantic and a day trip to Catalina that was enjoyable for me and a friend who dove and our wives who dont. Snorkeling, 2 dives, lunch, beach time head back. Atlantic dives had lower visibility and moderate surge. Carribean dives were clearer with some more sea life and moderate coral.

Sauna and samana are both good excursions as well that you can possibly mix diving and non diving activities on.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom