Diving in Scotland

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DrSpacemanMD

Registered
Reaction score
So im visiting Scotland for a few weeks over christmas and was wondering if there is any dive centres within an hour or two of Glasgow that do guided dives?

Aquatron in Glasgow closed down its school 4 weeks ago. The shop is closed from this Saturday until after the New Year, except on the 28th when they will open for gas.

Most diving is done by clubs see here and use the 'Find It' tool for the local clubs.

Only the die hard divers are out during the winter.

Do you dive in a dry-suit? If not your going to find it a bit cool as the water temp has started to drop below 10'C.

Yeah I will dive in a dry suit, unfortunatly I live abroad so i'm only here for a few weeks so not much point in joining a club, I probably will when i come back here in a year or so.

I have always been a bit intimidated by clubs, I'm still a new diver (only 7 dives) so i feel a little concerned that i get paired up with a pro guy and i end up having to cut their dive short because my air consumption sucks.

So i guess you have to rent gear from some other dive store or what not?

I shall take a look anyway see if there is any dive clubs, I would be looking to dive when i come over during summer anyway.

I shall take a look anyway see if there is any dive clubs, I would be looking to dive when i come over during summer anyway.
Summer is the right time to dive all those wrecks at Scapa Flow. You can fly in directly from Glasgow or ferry from Aberdeen or Scrabster.
Scapa Scuba will provide everything ie. bc, dry suit, fins, regs etc etc in the guided package. However, most of the wrecks are deeper than 18m.

Aquatron hire full sets of kit, if you want a dry-suit you will have to show a dry-suit qualification.

The down side of diving in the summer is two fold:
* tourists.
* midges.

I dive more during the winder than the summer.

Summer is the right time to dive all those wrecks at Scapa Flow. You can fly in directly from Glasgow or ferry from Aberdeen or Scrabster.
Scapa Scuba will provide everything ie. bc, dry suit, fins, regs etc etc in the guided package. However, most of the wrecks are deeper than 18m.
Well I'm hoping to have my advanced done by the summer so perhaps that would work out ok.

Aquatron hire full sets of kit, if you want a dry-suit you will have to show a dry-suit qualification.

The down side of diving in the summer is two fold:
* tourists.
* midges.

I dive more during the winder than the summer.

Yeah I did my dry suit as part of my OWD course, I shall take a look into the local clubs thanks but I may just end up waiting to Easter or Summer at this rate :(

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom