Diving in South Africa

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jpate637

Registered
Reaction score
I am traveling to South Africa in early November and plan on doing one or two days of diving. I was looking at Sodwana Bay or Protea Banks, although I am open to suggestions for other places. I would like to see some sharks, but that is not all I am interested in. Does anyone have recommendations of dive operators? My first criterion for a dive shop is safety and then a close second is knowledge of marine life. Also, are the water temps cold there? What would be your recommendations for wetsuits? Also, I might be doing a GW dive too, but my dad would like to stay on the boat. Any good suggestions for this? Thanks everybody.

Cheers!

I can't give any advice on GW operators but I dive Sodwana fairly often and have dived Aliwal Shoal as well.

Protea Banks are rather deep and you have to be at least AOW certified to dive there. I'd rather suggest Aliwal Shoal. My preference is Sodwana for the greater variety and nicer reefs but if its sharks your after, Aliwal Shoal would be a better call.

There are numerous dive operators at both locations but for Sodwana I can't recomend Triton Dive Charters strongly enough. I have the world's admiration for their experience and I've always received good service from them. At Aliwal Shoal I would recommend OceanWorx.

You may also want to consider southern Mozambique but I think I still prefer Sodwana and it is a little bit extra effort to get to southern Mozambique which is probably not warranted if you'll only be doing one or two days of diving.

The water temperatures at Sodwana will be around 24 degress Celcius (that's about 75 degrees Fahrenheit). Aliwal Shoal will be only slightly colder but in both cases you should be fine with a 5mm wetsuit. You might even be fine in a 3mm wetsuit or shorty.

Sodwana is great for all-round coral reef action - I normally stay at Sodwana Bay Lodge and dive with the dive shop there, and enjoyed it everytime: their web site is Sodwana Bay Lodge - Diving, Fishing, Game Viewing, Adventure

The water temp a month ago (mid-winter) was 22 Deg C, I use a 5mm full body wetsuit and it was okay, though it starts warming up now, oh yes it's Spring today!

Also go via Durban, the road from Joburg is a mess. Then you might also go south to Aliwal Shoal or Protea Banks, which are more known for shark action.

I would choose Sodwana any day especially on 7 & 9 mile reefs as they are not dived on as frequently as the normal 2 mile reef -- where every student qualify on and sometimes damage the reef.Sodwana is also a bit more 'In the bush ' if compared to the other sites mentioned.

As indicated above the temperatures will be excellent for diving ,and a well known and very reputable dive operater will be Scuba Scene - Peet @ + 27 83 6793448 or Reef divers in Pretoria.

I agree with the recommendation of using oceanworx at aliwal, a good bunch there and cant do enough for you, good humour as well.

October is great for diving the KZN coast. You will be at the tail end of Whale and Ragged-toothed Shark season and at the start of Whaleshark season. That said, the seasonality of species doesn't really seem like something you should base your decision on as it is unpredictable at the best of times. Either way, you will have good dives though and October is a beautiful month in South Africa in general.

Oh and it won't still be warm in October, it will already be warm - remember our seasons are the reverse of yours :wink:

Back
Top Bottom