Diving in Strong Current or Downcurrent

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hello, everyone.

I'm headed to the Galapagos shortly and have two days of diving planned. I have some experience diving in current and I know some sites in Galapagos have strong currents and downcurrents, sometimes unexpectedly. Depending on dive instructor recommendation, I may dive at Gordon Rocks which is known for its currents. I have also read about three deaths since 2010 all related to sudden downcurrents overwhelming divers.

My question is: what worst-case scenarios should I prepare for and what are the best responses to those? I'm imaginging flooded mask, dropped regulator, and panic. I've read up on how to get out of a downcurrent. But still I want to be prepared as possible. Thanks!

Do you really have 0 - 24 dives? If so, then DON'T dive in locations suitable for advanced divers. Dive the easier locations.

Every diver should carry an SMB in every dive.

If you get separated from the group in current, the first thing to do is to launch the SMB underwater. Practice this first before you go so you know how to do it under stress. It takes a while to learn.

Finally, go to places that have currents before tacking the harder ones. There is a range of currents you can try at Cozumel.

- Bill

Every diver should carry an SMB in every open water dive.

Fixed it for you, since I have gotten Intro Cave certified I have not carried an SMB for the past 20 dives.

But, I will be carrying one on each dive while in Saint Martin..

Do you really have 0 - 24 dives? If so, then DON'T dive in locations suitable for advanced divers. Dive the easier locations.

Every diver should carry an SMB in every dive.

If you get separated from the group in current, the first thing to do is to launch the SMB underwater. Practice this first before you go so you know how to do it under stress. It takes a while to learn.

Finally, go to places that have currents before tacking the harder ones. There is a range of currents you can try at Cozumel.

- Bill

Those are 2 really good points! If the OP does have only 0-24 dives, it's a FAR better idea to choose easier dives than advanced dives which have the likelihood or possibility of strong/down currents. And definitely, practicing with an SMB beforehand is a really good idea.

@Diving Dubai had an interesting incident.

Basically, if you end up with a strong down current you may end up a lot deeper than planned for a lot longer. In his case he had an AL80 as a pony and that was barely enough.

Nobody ever complained that they had too much gas with them.

Since I was linked... Just to correct Rainpilot, on the dive in question I had a AL40 as a pony. Even so, prior to that incident on that site after a 1 hrs dive to a max of 30m ish, I would expect to surface with 80-90bar (45cuf) on my backgas and obviously the pony untouched. The dive in question I was down to 15-20bar in each cylinder (around 12cuf in total)

Long story short, on a club dive we went from a position at 30m of being well within out Rock bottom gas and NDL to being at 56m, and having to climb out against the current. At 6.6 ATA with elevated gas consumption (understatement) you can see your gas contents diminish before your eyes.

Like @Wingy I love currents - but if you dance with the devil you need to be prepared to get spanked sometimes.

My tips.

Listen to the dive brief if you're on a trip. The guides and staff have dived the site a lot and so have a good understanding.

Follow the guide and watch carefully - they'll often have the first indication.

If you're on a site with known currents, watch your gas and NDL. Don't push the limits. If you get into a position where you need so contingency and it's not there, well you'll be disappointed at the very least.

If you have little experience with currents, don't go jumping into a maelstrom expecting it to end well. Start on easy sites and build experience.

On sites, keep low and use the geography to protect you - don't fight current - it will always win. Watch your gas. If it all goes pear-shaped you can easily double your normal gas consumption

Reef hooks are good, for sure. They're useless however rolled up and stowed in a pocket. On sites with a known current mine is always clipped off to the harness, the line is shortened (to prevent entanglement) using a daisy chain knot with the hook clipped to a D ring using a double ender. If I need it just un-clip the hook and the line extends.

Reef hooks however are good to hold yourself in a current. I prefer my metal pointer stick which is always in my hand and you can jab it into a rock for immediate assistance.

As @northernone stated, disorientation can happen, head for the brightness. I've personally never had a mask come off. Partially flood, had bubbles stay in front of my face and have been tossed around like a rag doll for sure, but in extremes and not where a commercial trip is likely to take people.

If your on a wall and have stopped, take a moment to think assess the situation and control your breathing. Hopefully you'll see everyone else and can follow the lead of the guide

Definitely have a 6' dSMB with a decent amount of line on the spool. I have 45m (147') of line on my spool. Just launching from 20m (60') I've almost emptied the spool because of a mid water current above me. Know how to deploy a dSMB and not just from the 15' stop.

I've heard all sorts of theory's about using a dSMB or lift bag for additional buoyancy - in a current good luck with that, however if you're in teh blue and going down you have nothing to lose.

If you have arrested your descent, pay attention to your computer (disorientation) if it starts screaming at you, it'll be an ascent alarm. Don't have an uncontrolled ascent.

Big down currents are very rare because guided trips tend to avoid those sites when the conditions get iffy, they are easily survivable, just think things through before hand and always be conservative

A little anecdote - I do like reef hooks...even my springy one...but some dives - eg Tipuata Pass - the reason for the dive is to keep moving so I didn't take any reefhooks with me but did have my muck/pointer stick.

For those familiar with Tipuata we dropped in the blue, played around on the point where the wave breaks before you drop into the pass when a small current combined with the surge making for conditions like a washing machine but less than 3m deep.

Fascinating watching turtles being tossed around under the breaking wave I stuck my pointer/muck stick to stay in one place.

To my horror I watched it slightly bend and seemed stuck fast between the rocks and realised the lanyard around my wrist was being pulled inwards. A quick wriggle sorted it out but I've never stuck a pointer in between rocks in a current since.

Another example of needing to think quick - and that was not the actual current I was in FP to dive - I think I waited 6 or 7 years to do the pass - no shame at all in putting off a "bigger" dive for later.

I posted this some time ago on another thread, so hope this helps:

• Streamline your gear. The more you have tucked in, the less drag.
  • Be properly weighted. If you're overweighted then you will have to inflate your BC more at the bottom and this will also cause excessive drag.
  • Get into good trim. You see some people fighting currents that look like they're riding a bicycle. That again causes drag and is a tiring way to move - even without a current.
  • Sometimes you can get away from the current if you move down closer to the reef or even above the current by a couple of meters.
  • Exercise is great... doing lots of cardio and strengthening your quads.
  • I once had a DM tell me that when she encounters a strong current she allows a little bit of give and almost "plays in the current" letting it push her around slightly rather than really fighting it head-on. It sounds strange but what I think she meant was even within this effort, try to relax, breath steadily, and be a little flexible... physically and mentally - this slight pliability makes it less fatiguing to swim against the current. I have since adopted this mindset and it really does help.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom