Diving in Thailand - Advice needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TEERLKAY:
To all,

JenM – we would be interested to hear how your Hin Daeng trip goes – as well as your liveaboard to Burma!

Thanks again to all!

We just got back from Thailand. Unfortunately, we had hideous visibility for the entire 10+ days that we were diving - sometimes just 5-10 ft vis, sometimes 20-30 ft, but never any better than that except for the day that we went to the Burma Banks (visited 3 different banks and had vis ranging from 50-100 ft). It got to be quite a joke - our divemaster would give the briefing and say "good chance of schooling fish on this site", the only problem was that if they were more than 20 ft. away, we never saw them. We have no idea whether there were any mantas in the water, they would have had to have swam right over our heads for us to have noticed them. Honestly, I've had better vis in Monterey, CA in the kelp forests than on this trip. We knew that vis in Burma wouldn't be great, but we were very disappointed that the Similans and Hin Daeng/Hin Muang also had awful vis.

Other than that, we had a great time - after all, how bad can it be when you are diving in warm tropical waters? From what little I could see of the various sites, I think they'd be gorgeous in the 100 ft vis that is SUPPOSED to be the norm in that area. As for Hin Daeng/Hin Muang, I highly recommend it but quite honestly, it is a looooonnnng haul out from land so it is best done on a liveaboard. I think Hin Daeng is as good, if not better than any comparable site in the Similans and if you go on a liveaboard, you'll do 4 dives there (2 on Hin Daeng, 2 on Hin Muang), whereas if you only come out for the day, you'll only do 2 dives there and that's really far to go for just 2 dives.

A few comments on the liveaboards we used. For the Hin Daeng trip, we were on the Mermaid II for a 3 night trip. The boat had a great crew, but it also had roaches (lots of them - they were supposedly going to spray the boat after our trip) and, more importantly, it was topheavy and not stable. I normally never get any kind of motion sickness, but even I (along with everyone else on the boat) got seasick on our trip back from Hin Daeng and although the seas were rough, they didn't seem so bad that the boat should have been that unstable. So, if you take this boat, pray for calm seas but if not, be prepared with bonine, dramamine, scopalamine, etc. I'm actually not knocking the Mermaid. As I mentioned, they had a great crew, a well-laid out dive deck, decent food, and for the price, I think it is a good value.

For the Burma/Similans trip, we took the Ocean Rover - amazing boat, amazing crew, and so stable, we hardly knew that we were on the water. After the Mermaid, we were dreading getting right back on another boat that same day, especially since we knew the seas hadn't calmed down any. However, as soon as we got on the OR, the difference in quality was quite obvious. Of course, you pay significantly more for the comfort. Diving in Burma is different than the Similans. Vis is always lower because of more plankton in the water so you get more critters/creatures/filter feeders along with alot of fish on the regular rocky reef sites, but then on the Burma Banks (huge, underwater mountains that rise up to a depth of about 50fsw) you get great vis and more sharks. We saw a total of 12 sharks on the day we dove there, so that was really fun. I can just imagine how many there were a few years ago, before they started being fished out.

All in all, we had a very good and enjoyable trip. We are just sad that we didn't get a chance to see the Similans/Surins/Hin Daeng at their best.

TEERLKAY:
When you write “Daytrips to Similans are possible from both Phuket and Hin Daeng”
Do you mean:
1. Daytrips to Similans are possible from both Phuket and Koh Lanta
2. Daytrips to Similans and Hin Daeng are possible from Phuket
3. Something completely different?

Anyone care to comment on budget accommodations in Khao Lak or Koh Lanta – as much as we’d like to spend our whole time on a liveaboard – it’s not going to happen!

Thanks again to all!
Hi Teerlkay,

I live and work in Phuket, Thailand since 2001. We do 2 dives daytrip to Hin Daeng & Hin Muang on speed boat, and also liveaboard to the Similans/surin/ Richelieu rock. I read your post a little late, thus I may be able assist if you plan to come this way. We do look for budget accommodation also for you, thus just throw me an email and I'll send you some reccommendations. thien@scubadiving.com

Thien

thien:
Hi Teerlkay,

I live and work in Phuket, Thailand since 2001. We do 2 dives daytrip to Hin Daeng & Hin Muang on speed boat, and also liveaboard to the Similans/surin/ Richelieu rock. I read your post a little late, thus I may be able assist if you plan to come this way. We do look for budget accommodation also for you, thus just throw me an email and I'll send you some reccommendations. thien@scubadiving.com

Thien
hey
you might actually want to check into some of those dive sites. rumor has it that trips to the similians are cancelled due to the tsunami. i would definately call your dive shop or the liveaboards you plan on using and ask them about the dive spots.

Island Hoppa:
hey
you might actually want to check into some of those dive sites. rumor has it that trips to the similians are cancelled due to the tsunami. i would definately call your dive shop or the liveaboards you plan on using and ask them about the dive spots.

No, they are all open and all boats are running normally.

I Concur!

The Similans is open for diving. however, there are some damages to the westcoast dive sites, thus limited to the east coast only. There were no affect for Richelieu Rock. So, do not cancel your diving trip just because of the media, we are doing our best to return our people back to life as normal here. Please support us just by showing up!

Paradise, it's what you make of it!

Thien
Seafundivers.com

thien:
I Concur!

The Similans is open for diving. however, there are some damages to the westcoast dive sites, thus limited to the east coast only. There were no affect for Richelieu Rock. So, do not cancel your diving trip just because of the media, we are doing our best to return our people back to life as normal here. Please support us just by showing up!

Paradise, it's what you make of it!

Thien
Seafundivers.com

Does anyone know the post-Tsunami condition of Tarutao? I have a trip to South Adanman this coming April and is checking out to know what's the status. The dive shop I booked the trip couldn't confirm me yet.

Andaman Islands are Ok according to our operator, Only Nicobar Islands, 600 miles South from Andaman Island, have damage so Andaman's government officials are all busy to check and give help to people who leave around Nicobar Island. They need Port Blair airport until 5 February.

Let me know if you need more info.

Koh Bon, Koh Tachai and Richelieu are fine and I got pictures from another operator whose boat just returned. As said, Similan Islands sustained some damage and today team of dive professionals is at Phuket and will be assessing damage to reefs and report to TAT shortly.

You may check pictures of affected areas as of today; they look nothing like one's you seen in newspapers and TV.
http://www.image-asia.com/31_Dec/index.html courtesy to Image Asia.

Been too busy with business in Singapore and a lack of internet in order to post my report, but a quick summary of the Similans for LOB on Jan 6-8 is:

1) I've never dove there before, so I cannot compare it to what it was like before "the wave" as they say there. We dove islands 5-9, plus Koh Bon to the North. Most dives were on the protected East side, but some on the West including the newly re-opened dive site "Fantasy Reef". I don't have my log book with me, so I cannot recall all the dive sites. Working from a poor memory: Christmas Point, East of Eden, Fantasy Reef, and Anitia's Reef. I can't remember the others.
2) The diving was beautiful. Saw tons of beautiful things such as manta rays, white tip sharks, leopard sharks, barracuda, and many other smaller species. Took over 300 photos on 9 day dives. PLENTY to see. Stonefish, tons of lionfish, morrays (including honeycomb), moorish idols, sweetlips, batfish, octopus, banded sea snakes, skunk anomenie fish, and countless other species that I have no clue of what their names are (I'm a neubie).
3) Visibility was about 8-20m (24-60') with an average of about 14m (40'). It was good, but I didn't think it was awesome. Vis was never bad.
4) There was some damage to some of the reefs. I did see a few table coral that was snapped off. I did see a lot of coral rubble, but looking closer, they didn't seem to have new, fresh breaks. They seemed to have rounded edges where they were broken, which to me means they were broken a long time ago and have rounded the break with time.
5) I'd dive it again, and I'd have no problems with diving it again immediately.
6) Most of the dive boats are not currently running their normal schedules, and their schedules seem to change nearly daily. So, if you have anything scheduled, you should check back often with your dive operation to ensure everything is still on plan.
7) Airline operations are also changing their schedules to Phuket, so check back with them. I flew Air Asia, and when I checked in at Singapore for my flight to Phuket, they said they were cancelling service to Phuket while I was there in Phuket. I needed to purchase a one-way ticket on another airline to return to Singapore.

Overall a great experience and I'd do it again. Well worth it.

Back
Top Bottom