diving in the Coral Triangle: where in June or November from Singapore/KL?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

walrus2

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all,

I know there are many similar threads but the area is so large (and totally foreign to me), and there are seasons to consider as well. I'd like to dive in the Coral Triangle. I'll be in Kuala Lumpur the last week of June, and in Singapore from October 15-20th. I'm looking for options to dive around one of those two trips. I understand that local diving near Singapore or Kuala Lumpur is possible but not a major attraction. I've looked at the Dancer boats a am working on a list of other live-aboards. It seems October is shoulder season for Komodo/Rajah Ampat, while June might look more promising. Unfortunately I might be less flexible in June/July.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I realize this is a bit of a vague question, but there are a lot of people with extensive experience in this area on the board. Is there a dive-oriented travel agency that might be useful? Travel time/efficiency is a bit of a concern, but the rates of e.g. the Dancer boats would be ok.

Thanks!

The Philippines is just a short flight from KL and Singapore and offers a wide variety of excellent diving. Coron for wrecks. Malapascua for unique Thresher Sharks encounters, Sogod for Whalesharks, everywhere for macro but of course real top spots like Anilao.

Great people, great place, great diving and very flexible.

If your intent on a Live-aboard then try Dive The World as a one stop shop. They are decent at presenting various options.

Thanks! I would like to dive coral reefs. I'll have a look at Dive the World.

Hi all,

I know there are many similar threads but the area is so large (and totally foreign to me), and there are seasons to consider as well. I'd like to dive in the Coral Triangle. I'll be in Kuala Lumpur the last week of June, and in Singapore from October 15-20th. I'm looking for options to dive around one of those two trips. I understand that local diving near Singapore or Kuala Lumpur is possible but not a major attraction. I've looked at the Dancer boats a am working on a list of other live-aboards. It seems October is shoulder season for Komodo/Rajah Ampat, while June might look more promising. Unfortunately I might be less flexible in June/July.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I realize this is a bit of a vague question, but there are a lot of people with extensive experience in this area on the board. Is there a dive-oriented travel agency that might be useful? Travel time/efficiency is a bit of a concern, but the rates of e.g. the Dancer boats would be ok.

Thanks!
Hi Walrus,

The Philippines is one option (or actually many options), and there are others as well.

In June, my suggestion from Malaysia/Singapore would be Sipadan. It's prime season there, and if you want a liveaboard, we can try for the Celebes Explorer--it's not the caliber of a Dancer, but it provides more dives actually at Sipadan than any other operator in the area offers. There are other places where you can go on liveaboards as well, such as Layang Layang in Malaysia. If you're up for adventure, how about Komodo? Just a short hop to Bali and then onto a boat! Or Indonesia's Bunaken near Manado for the most beautiful reefs you can imagine. In the same area is Lembeh, world-famous for muck diving and weird critters. For November, you would be able to consider Thailand's Andaman Sea, or perhaps Bali hoping to catch sight of one of the holy-grail animals we see there up to about that time, the mola-molas, and of course the incomparable Tulamben and the Liberty wreck (which is more an artificial reef than a wreck per-se). You will be spoiled for choice, and mainly the decision will depend on how much time you want to dedicate to travel and transfers.

Let me know if you want any help. I work with both the Aggressor/Dancer fleet and the Siren fleet, as well as other luxury liveaboards, and I also know about mid-priced boats. (And Philippines, too.)

Back
Top Bottom