Diving in the rain +

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

M.D.

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hey SB users,
I was talking to my brother today and he asked me if there would be any problems diving in a big thunderstorm. More specifically, if lightning happened to hit the water near us would we get shocked. I'm sure this question has been posed somewhere on here before, but I'm too lazy to check.:D

Now for something completely different... You'll all be happy to know that I finally quit smoking. So far it's going well. Question: is there any ex-smokers out there that have noticed it's easier to equalize after quitting? I remember someone telling me that a dive shop before.

Thanks

or even worse, your gear might get wet!! Great job on the smoking. Its so hard. Keep it up!!

First...diving in a thunderstorm = a very bad idea. Even though you might not get shocked while you are diving, you do have to surface sometime and now you are most likely the highest point with big steel tanks on your back.

I am not a physicist, but *from what I understand* diving in a thunderstorm in fresh water is *really* bad because our bodies are more conductive than the surrounding water. Diving in salt water might not be quite so bad because salt water and our bodies have a relatively similar conductivity.

Let me repeat, I am not a physicist....following my advice might result in your death.

Don't really know about the Thunderstorm thing, but I do think if you got hit by lighting on the Surface, it would be really bad.

Congrats on the Smoking, I quit 4 years ago and it has completly changed my life. I'm hardly ever tired anymore(when I smoked I was tired all the Time). I have a lot more money (I smoked 3 packs+ a day) and can actually afford Scuba and the trips. I hav'nt felt this good since I was 18 (that's when I started smoking). Keep with the plan, it'll be the best thing you have ever done.:thumb:

M.D.:
Hey SB users,
I was talking to my brother today and he asked me if there would be any problems diving in a big thunderstorm. More specifically, if lightning happened to hit the water near us would we get shocked. I'm sure this question has been posed somewhere on here before, but I'm too lazy to check.:D

Now for something completely different... You'll all be happy to know that I finally quit smoking. So far it's going well. Question: is there any ex-smokers out there that have noticed it's easier to equalize after quitting? I remember someone telling me that a dive shop before.

Thanks