Diving in the USA.......Anybody interested?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kingdiver

Reaction score
I've been wanting to pack it up and travel the country exploring the different bodies of water available for SCUBA Diving, and put it together in one comprehensive book, or reference guide for the diver willing to try it all, especially helpful to the landlocked diver who can't make it to the ocean all the time. When you think about it, there isn't much of that out there, either on the web or in hard copy books.

This would include all lakes, rivers, ponds, caves, ocean shore dives, that was there is no excuse for never diving because you don't know where to go around you. State by state.

Each entry would include a brief description of the dive and what is worthwhile about it, if only a great excuse to get wet, or wet-dry.

Ok, so maybe it's a logistical impossibility to do all the traveling (unless you qualify as lottery winner), but maybe we can pool the resources here to develop such a project....

kingdiver once bubbled...
I've been wanting to pack it up and travel the country exploring the different bodies of water available for SCUBA Diving, and put it together in one comprehensive book, or reference guide

<snipe stuff>

Ok, so maybe it's a logistical impossibility to do all the traveling (unless you qualify as lottery winner), but maybe we can pool the resources here to develop such a project....
1. You would like to put together and publish a book.
2. You don't want to venture the time and $$$ to do the research.
3. You would like to use the resources of Scuba Board (the collective knowledge of the members) to do your research for you.
4. We could collaborate on *the Project*.
5. You could put together and publish a book.

Nah.... not needed. If anyone wants to know where to dive in Kentucky all they have to do is put it up on the board. If anyone wants to dive out here in the PNW all they have to do is put it up on the board. If anyone wants to dive in <fill in the blank> all they have to do is put it up here on the board.

If you want to write a book you need to do the leg work yourself. Write about where you've been diving.

Besides.... it would be more fun that way plus all your expenses would be tax deductible.

Say, why don't you come out here to the PNW and I will show you where to dive in everything but caves, ice and warm water.

........Just throwing out ideas. I don't mind putting up some $$$ and doing leg work, one of these days, sure.

Other people can benefit as well, such as dive shops because they would be mentioned as a the 'nearest', and people such as yourself could make a living as a guide for hire if need be in your local.

I have dove in the PNW, right in the Sound there as well as up in Vancouver Bay, nice and cold.

But look for the book.

Hey King;

It seems to me there is a book out that features dive location(s) in each of the fifty states. Not sure how comprehensive it is though. A slick idea (I thought) was how the Great Lakes Diving Guide is published. For each section of the Great Lakes, advertising space was sold to local dive shops that serve that particular area. An interesting way to help offset the publishing cost of the book.

Scott

I'm familiar with the great lake books, haven't heard of that big giant book though, if ya think of the name let me know.

So someone stole my idea huh?

Well I don't think it is a "big" (size-wise) book. It lists one site in each state. Not sure what the criteria was on choosing each site; maybe free entry? :D

I found the book. It is called: "American Underwater Odyssey: 50 Dives in 50 States". Barnes and Noble does not have it in stock. Did not check Amazon though.

American Underwater Odyssey: 50 Dives in 50 States just read it and it is a great book. Kind of opens up a whole lot of worlds to a new diver like me that I would never have considered. It is a book I would recommend for a Xmas gift for any diver

Hey Cool,

Shall check it out. You're right Double, I've never seen anything quite like it major bookstores, and I have checked.

Guess Kingdiver has to keep his day job!!

Sorry dude.

Although I can imagine it's similar to Rodale's Underwater USA.

It is American Underwater Odyssey is available thru Amazon, $14.95, just ordered it.

We'll let u know King!

Back
Top Bottom