Diving in Zanzibar and Pemba

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ran88

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I want to dive in Zanzibar and Pemba in the beginning of next October. I want to be there with my brother as a part of a trip in Tanzania. I want to know where should we dive (parts of Pemba, Stone Town, Mnemba Atoll), how many days should we spent in each island (we were thinking about 5-6 days for both islands), where the best dive sites are, the best diving clubs and etc'. Note that we are on a budget and don't want to spend a lot of money, but also don't want to go to a crappy club with bad divemasters and equipment.

Thank you ahead.

If only money wasn't an issue.... I won't mind taking the entire forum, but it's just a bit too much. Does anyone have some first hand information on these places?

Start of october is a bit early for the best diving conditions, season doesn't really begin until november, but you can of course have good diving anyway.

Best diving on Zanzibar: Mnemba Atoll and Leven bank. Spend a couple of days there and then on to Pemba for 3-4 days. There are only a few options on Pemba. My only experience is with Manta Reef Lodge on northern Pemba. I saw that they recieved some bad feedback earlier this year, but I don't know if it is because things has gone seriously downhill very fast, or if the reviewer expected a caribean-style luxury resort?

I was there with my girlfriend end of november last year and we were very pleased. Nice bungalows, good food, helpful staff and the most beatiful location on top of a sandy beach. However the pace is very slow. When not diving, there's not much to do but taking walks in the surroundings (which by the way is very cool), lay on the beach and read, lay in the room and read, play cards ...

The diving was very good with great biodiversity and quantities of both fish and coral. On the contrary to what I heard before going, we had exeptional visibilty with highs in the 50 metre region. Plenty of pelagic speices ranging from big schools of barracuda & jacks, tuna, wahoo. Also big groupers, napoleon wrasse, a few turtles and a huge cowtail ray. Unfortunatelly no sharks or mantas. Perhaps not as spectacular as Sipadan Island or the Sudanese Red Sea, but certainly on par with Similan Islands and the Maldives inmo. The dive center was at that point run by a South African bloke, Elton ..., which was good and tried to arrange what the customers wished to do. I believe the cost was something like USD90 per person/night and then USD30 per dive if you brought your own equipment. Just check current status on their boats - it's cumbersome to get spares and I know they've had trouble keeping their fastest boat running. Transport to some dive sites are long.

There are a cheaper place to stay. In Chake Chake town is a small hotel run by Swahili divers. More backpackerstyle, and I've heard roumors about the dive organisation - that they're not very flexible keeping customers on a leash. Diving prices are probably about the same. Then there's the Fundo Lagoon Resort, but since you're on a budget I guess you can give it a miss.

If you are really only into diving, skip Zanzibar and try to go on a liveaboard like the Jambo. She does 6 day trips, sailing around Pemba. Unsure if there are any scheduled trips in october though. If there are, perhaps you can get a good price if you just give them a call when you're there?

good luck

Christian

Budget and Pemba (and diving) don't really go together, as even the "budget" operators (Swahili Divers in Chake, Bahari Divers in Wete) are quite pricey compared to other places I have dived, including Zanzibar. What makes those two cheaper than the others is the fact that you can either stay at a guesthouse in town or at SD's own guesthouse rather than at an expensive resort. Have heard that Pemba Afloat is excellent, but again, not cheap.
Getting to Pemba is either slow (overnight ferry from Zanzibar, 1-2 times a week) or expensive (fast ferry 2-3 times a week, $45 one way; flights from $60 or 70 one way).
If you ant to visit both islands you will need more than 5-6 days. I agree with the above - if diving is all you want, skip Zanzibar, since Pemba is better. Would be a shame, though, Zanzibar is an incredible place that should not be missed.
The diving there isn't as good as Pemba, but still not bad. A good shop in Stonetown (with branhces in some east coast resorts) is One Ocean. To dive Mnemba you will have to go to either Kendwa / Nungwi or Matemwe. In Kendwa ScubaDo are excellent.

Agreed with stefo - One Ocean in Zanzibar (/www.zanzibaroneocean.com) are a good shop. They also have a site near Mnemba Atoll I believe, so you can arrange dives there from their shop in Stone Town.

TikTok:
Agreed with stefo - One Ocean in Zanzibar (/www.zanzibaroneocean.com) are a good shop. They also have a site near Mnemba Atoll I believe, so you can arrange dives there from their shop in Stone Town.

One Ocean at Matemwe (there are at least three on the island) is close to the Atoll. Excellent treatment there, talk to instructor Xavi, professional and experienced! oneoceanmatemwe@zanlink.com

A little bit further down on the west coast in Kendwa you'll meet Christian and Tammy at Scuba-do http://www.scuba-do-zanzibar.com/ Really nice people that gave us (me + two kids) three beautiful dives this weekend. Wish it still was Saturday....:wink:

Anders
(Swede, resident in Dar es Salaam)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom