Diving is Not a Sport???!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

donooo:
I feel if you worry about your health, try and keep yourself in good shape and are concerned about what you eat and drink,,, then let it be a sport. If you are forty pounds overweight, dive once a year on a vacation where you eat to much and drink to much. Need the boat boy to rig your gear and can't carry your own tank,,,,,then maybe it's not a sport.

There are lots of activitys that are not team that are sports. Even a few that are not scored. How about mountain/rock climbers or white water kayaks or bike riding.

Maybe it's just your mental approach.

don O
What if you are 50 lbs overweight, eat too much, drink too much, can rig your own gear and carry your own tank, and average 6 dives per week?

BKP:
Uh oh... someone should tell Sport Fishing magazine that their namesake is an oxymoron...

(Oooooo... that would apply to Sport Diver too, wouldn't it?)

My vote (for what it's worth)... if Golf is a sport, then diving is absolutely an extreme sport...

...then again... I really don't *care* what it's considered... long as no one bothers me about it...
Hey, competition and trophies in "Sport Fishing", "Sport Diver" on the other hand does not have any competition. Golf, trophies and big money for competition... Diving.... hmmm

JanR:
"Activity. Just like golf. and poker."

Isn't poker on ESPN which has the mission statement of "To serve sports fans wherever sports are watched, listened to, discussed, debated, read about or played."

It's cool to not call scuba a sport...just watch the reckless comments about poker not being a sport.:D
Competition!!! :crafty:

Ocean One:
One of the definitions of "competition" in Webster Dictionary is "A contest, match or other trial of skill or ability". IMHO diving takes great knowledge, skills and abilities when matched up against Mother-Natures best and worst at times. VIZ, cold, current, darkness, cramped spaces, surge and the list goes on! Sounda like a competition to me!!!!
And, you are practicing in those conditions just like other potential athletes. But, once the practice is over, the competition begins

RJP:
It's a sport, but not a COMPETETIVE sport.

As to golf, poker, etc. I think we can all agree that any activity that you can engage in while smoking is NOT a sport.

:)
Challenge. Name one sport that is not competitive?

paperdesk:
I'm with you DaytonaDave! Webster is my hero! Sport by standard definition is not necessarily competitive. However, it's always possible to find some dictionary somewhere that will say something else :)

Still it's intersting to consider if diving is or is not competitive. Anyone ever compare: Who dove the deapest, who has the most dives, the best form, best trim, least air consumption, best equipment, highest certification level, nicest underwater smile :wink: etc. etc.
Excellent! You have found the sport side of this. Congratulations!!!! And, thank you! :grin:

wallacm:
Diving is not a sport, it's a way of life.

No, actually diving is a sport, you do have physical activity, you are in the outdoors, and as far as competition goes, I'd say its very competitive. You are competing against yourself being in a foreign environment, trying to make it as safe as possible (well should be)
Arena Football, Hockey, etc... Not sports because they happen indoors

CoolTech:
Unless you are in competition, each of these activities are just that... activities. Some activities are aerobic and some are not. Become competitive at these activities and they become a sport.
Well, I think that is BS. So I guess that we have drawn the line in the sand. If you think that you can be an athelete and particapate in a sport without competion, step to the right of the line. If you feel that anything with competion is a sport, step to the left of the line. Somebody else count body's, I'am going to rest up for my next day of some sport.

Time to start training for league pool.

adios don o

awall54308:
I thought when it comes to purchasing life insurance diving was considered an "extreme" sport. Is this true?
No, it is considered an extreme activity with a high risk factor

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom