Diving is Not a Sport???!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Who cares how you categorize it?

Diver Dennis:
Who cares how you categorize it?
You are right mate:D

I have heard scuba diving described as "THE sport for the obese". :eyebrow:

If espn says poker is a sport then so is diving to me.

Fouremco:
"Sport: an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess."

I'd say it's a sport.
If anything, this simply shows up the problems with trying to create categories for things. Categories are simply ways to group things together in order to reduce the mental effort involved in trying to understand them. If we define a whole category of things as "sports" ,for example, we can deal mentally with a whole range of activities in the same way - and most of the time this works.

However, categories also create problems and rarely stand up to detailed analysis. Consider labels for groups of people - black, white, jewish, muslim, etc. Grouping people together like this can simplify dealing with some issues but often that simplification introduces its own problems, and is the root of most prejudices.

I suppose the answer to the original question then is one of:

- scuba is a sport when it's useful to consider it as such.
- scuba is what it is - when you look at the fine detail there is no perfect definition of "sport".

I think there is competition in Scuba.

I try to post as much as possible so I have more posts than the other "newbies".

I want to dive as much as possible so I have more dives than others....:D

See, competition!

(don't slam me, I dive so I can learn as much as possible and have fun, not just to have more experience than others....it just fits the definition of "Sport" better)

Back
Top Bottom