Diving Izu Penninsular - worth the trouble?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WhiteSands

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm stopping by Tokyo to visit a friend in Dec. Did some searching online and found that the only place for diving near Tokyo is at Izu.

Just wondering if its worth the hassle and cost to dive there? I am on a budget because I'm taking a long vacation.

Its my first time in Japan, no idea how I'm going to get there and I read tank/gear rentals are expensive in Japan.

I'm a warm water diver so I can't dive a drysuit. Not sure if a 7mm is doable.

What do you think? Is the diving at Izu worth the hassle/money?

I hear the diving there is good. Never been there myself, but I can provide websites to a couple English speaking dive shops. I am considering making the trip while I'm here is Japan, so I've been doing some research. Pricing is expensive in Japan for gear rental compared to the States. I'm sure others that have dove there will probably chime in. Here is a couple websites to get you started in comparing prices: Welcome to Discovery Divers Tokyo and Mar Scuba - The Zen of Diving. Good luck and safe diving!!!

I hear the diving there is good. Never been there myself, but I can provide websites to a couple English speaking dive shops. I am considering making the trip while I'm here is Japan, so I've been doing some research. Pricing is expensive in Japan for gear rental compared to the States. I'm sure others that have dove there will probably chime in. Here is a couple websites to get you started in comparing prices: Welcome to Discovery Divers Tokyo and Mar Scuba - The Zen of Diving. Good luck and safe diving!!!

Hey thanks for the links! If you do go pls keep me updated thanks!

7mm is doable I think. Last year, the water temps in early December were 17C. As brew77 mentioned, rental is expensive but being based in Tokyo you can easily do a day trip. Ozezaki is the main destination in Izu - lots of shops to choose from. Hot showers between dives certainly makes multiple dives possible.

It's pretty cold, for me I wear a two piece 7mm FJ with hood. Was diving there last October water was around 21 IIRC I was freezing but there are outside hot showers which helped. Viz was pretty good but not a whole lot of fish life, is it worth it? Yep, just to have done it. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom