Diving Komodo, Palau or RA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubajunky17

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
HI All,
I have dived both Komodo and Palau twice by liveaboard, I love Palau, love big schools, sharks etc
How does RA compare to Palau and could I see the best of it in August with day diving ? perhaps in a homestay or something ?
Thanks in advance,
P.S. if anyone knows somewhere better than Palau apart from the Cocos or Galapagos, please let me know..

Hi Scubajunky17,

Greetings from AquaMarine Diving - Bali.
I can see you are an avid and passionate diver, dive travel around the world is truly an enriching experience.
Raja Ampat is really a place you should add to your wish-list.

Certainly the pristine state of Raja Ampat's reefs and astounding marine biodiversity will surprise you. :wink:
However August might not be perfect timing. Raja Ampat North is still great but the South (particularly Misool Island) is very wavy and impossible to dive.
You can choose to dive this world's richest reefs with a Liveaboard trip or staying in a land-based Dive Resort.
Generally the Resorts are mid-range and high-end but there are some affordable options as well.
For affordable options I would suggest Raja Ampat Dive Lodge or Papua Explorers, or even cheaper; Biodiversity Divers.

At the moment on our Beyond Bali eNewsletter (April issue) we have Raja Ampat specials; 3 offers for Liveaboards and a 25% discount on the famous Misool Dive Resort.

The best way to fly to Sorong is from Jakarta (via Makassar), you can also travel via Denpasar but it is not as convenient. The domestic flights cost approx. USD400/pp. But if your Raja Ampat package costs around USD3,500 you can expect free domestic flights from us.

The best of luck and feel free to contact us should you need any help for your travel plans.
Ms Manon Meertens - Dive Travel Consultant - Indonesia

HI All,
I have dived both Komodo and Palau twice by liveaboard, I love Palau, love big schools, sharks etc
How does RA compare to Palau and could I see the best of it in August with day diving ? perhaps in a homestay or something ?
Thanks in advance,
P.S. if anyone knows somewhere better than Palau apart from the Cocos or Galapagos, please let me know..

Sounds like you preferred Komodo, just curious why? I'm actually trying to decide between Komodo and Palau :)

Sounds like you preferred Komodo, just curious why? I'm actually trying to decide between Komodo and Palau :)

I've done Komodo 2x on a liveaboard and Palau 1x from land. Both are epic. Palau had more sharks and from land based resorts you probably will spend less time on boats than
Komodo landbased...quimjim I think you are wanting landbased correct? Diving from land in Komodo from what I read, it can be difficult to go to some of the southern sites which are some of the best sites. Manta Alley and Cannibal Rock are epic. I've seen up to 15 manta's at Manta Alley, and I could dive Cannibal Rock and the other sites in Rinca Bay for a week and not get tired of them. For the northern sites in Komodo you really need lot's of current to maximize the experience ie sharks and big schools of fish, with trevally hunting everything that moves. And in Palau lot's of current is a good thing also as it brings the sharks in. For both Komodo and Palau timing your trip around the new/full moon will maximize your viewing pleasure.
Overall I prefer Komodo from a liveaboard as there is also some great muck/macro sites off Sumbawa Island that you get to dive, and getting 4 dives a day around and in Komodo Park is epic.
For landbased diving I would probably pick Palau especially if the shop I was using couldn't get me to the Southern sites of Komodo. Palau has loads of sharks, great walls and reefs with great fish life big and small, also Manta's at German Channel.

Which is the better in RA ? the North or the South ? Could the North still be done easily in August and are there budget accommodation options available in the North ?

Which is the better in RA ? the North or the South ? Could the North still be done easily in August and are there budget accommodation options available in the North ?

Interesting that you ignored my question to you, yet expect others to answer yours :)

Missed your question and I don't think I made Komodo sound better either !
Both are fantastic but if you are after Sharks then I would say Palau, Palau is very good for sharks and big schools of fish. Komodo is great reef diving, truly class and very fishy but no sharks !

Missed your question and I don't think I made Komodo sound better either !
Both are fantastic but if you are after Sharks then I would say Palau, Palau is very good for sharks and big schools of fish. Komodo is great reef diving, truly class and very fishy but no sharks !

Sorry I meant to say "sounds like you enjoyed Palau more". Which I guess you did :)

Raja Ampat is more similar to Komodo than Palau, with the main highlight being the diversity of marine life you get in each dive.

August is not the best time of year for Raja Ampat diving conditions wise, but it can still be nice and many of the resorts in the north are open. In fact, many of the resorts offer special prices for this time of year because it is the lower season. There are tons of new home stays throughout the Dampier Straight now, but contacting them in advance is not usually possible. For backpackers, best to just fly to Sorong, check in at the tourism office inside the big hotel across the street from the airport. There you can pay your marine park entrance fee and the women in the office can call and arrange for one of the home stays to meet you in Waisai and transfer you their location. (After you take the afternoon ferry from Sorong to Waisai.) Or if you want a resort, the lower priced options include Papua Paradise, Papua Explorers and Raja Ampat Biodiversity Resort.

You will get your big schools of fish in RA but not the amount or size of sharks you like - I was in North RA in September and other than a few wobbegongs and two black tips no real shark action to speak of. Still loved Northern RA will be doing southern RA in a couple of months.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom