Diving Lake Michigan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WaterWolf

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello, I’m new to diving (17 dives so far) and have never been in cold water. I’m planning on starting with some Door County shore dives in a 7mm wetsuit with a 7/5 bibbed hood, 6.5 boots, and 5mm gloves. Right now, I’m planning to do my first dive on Memorial weekend but would like to go sooner if my 7mm will keep me warm enough. Is a 7mm with the options I listed warm enough for May in Lake Michigan? I’ve heard people mention ice-diving in 7mm wetsuit but then I’ve also read postings where people won’t dive in a 7mm until the water reaches 60 degrees. What’s it really like in a 7mm?

well it really depends on how well you do in the cold. I work out side all year and the cold does not bother me and I can take me 7MM to 45deg and by that time I freezing afterwords. But I now dive dry so the cold water doesnt even scare me. But 60deg should be just fine in a 7mm.

Hope to see you out on the lake this summer.
chris
Chicago land area

I dive dry out here, but I tend to think of 55f as the lower end of the comfort zone. If you really want to dive, then you can push it to 50f or lower, but the dives tend to get shorter.

This all changes with the air temp- 55f in the air and water is an invigorating day. 55f in the water and 80f in the air is just fine for wetsuit diving. Once you get past the thermocline, the water is mostly the same temp year round- it becomes more a matter of how quickly you warm up at the surface.

WaterWolf:
Hello, I’m new to diving (17 dives so far) and have never been in cold water. I’m planning on starting with some Door County shore dives in a 7mm wetsuit with a 7/5 bibbed hood, 6.5 boots, and 5mm gloves. Right now, I’m planning to do my first dive on Memorial weekend but would like to go sooner if my 7mm will keep me warm enough. Is a 7mm with the options I listed warm enough for May in Lake Michigan? I’ve heard people mention ice-diving in 7mm wetsuit but then I’ve also read postings where people won’t dive in a 7mm until the water reaches 60 degrees. What’s it really like in a 7mm?

Hey waterwolf,
Hey welcome to the board!And diving cold water! Great Lake's= Michigan is a blast to dive,
A 7mm suit is ok IMO for later in the year,and have dove wet in the past but now dive dry until late June,I am now a wimp to the cold water,one trick I did use to dive wet is use a 1mm microprene Henderson full suit under my wet suit as this kept the water movement way down and me much warmer!I did many dives with pals that still and do dive wet,but ice dive ouch!
Door county is a great shore dive site,do you have Green bay scubas shore dive wreck list,it is a great list of shore dives and locations.
Also feel free to hit me up anytime as I dive off my boat on many of the wrecks in the area from Milwaukee to Door county and as we are neighbors! I dive out of Portwashington ,Wi
Dive safe
Brad

WaterWolf:

Don't let these www's scare you off. I dive in a 7mm on New Years Day here in Ohio.

Ken

Hello Waterwolf. Shore diving in May up in Door county should be okay. The sheltered bays tend to be warmer then being out on the lake. If you dive north of Sister Bay you find that the viz is consistently better. Although i dive dry now I dove wet for a long time. I did get ice certified wet as well. Go to FleetFarm and pick up one of those hand pump syphons. You can pick one up for under ten bucks. Bring that and a couple three gallons of warm water in an igloo cooler. You can use the syphon to pump warm water into your suit before you dive. It works like a charm. Make sure you squirt some in your gloves too. The hardest part about Door county shore dives is that the entry and exits are over slippery rocks, so be careful. Once in the diving is pretty decent. One more tip. You can cut your travel time in Door county in half in summer time if you stay on Hwy 57 up to Sister Bay. You'll avoid the Yuppies that foul the air on Hwy 42. Have fun and be safe!

Jim

I got certified at the end of April in a quarry in Ohio, diving wet in a 7mm suit. Water was 43 degrees (ice just off it) and I was "comfortable" (except for the shock when having to do mask clearing - OOOO!). Sun was out and little wind, but we dried off quickly and had LOTS of hot chocolate. (I was certifying with 3 Boy Scouts! Don't hassle me! ;-) )
I've been challenged to dive at Gilboa in a 3mm on 28 April 2006 - but may have to defer! >:)

NotsoKen - "www" = "Warm Water Wimps"???? *L*

I dive Dry suit year round in Lake Michigan. Last year in at the North Shore Tug, late summer the surface was 65-70 but below the thermolcline it was balmy 39. I dive with people who dive it in 6-7 mm wet suit. I personally hate diving in a wet suite in cold water.

Hey if your comfortable in a wet suit.. enjoy... And shore diving your probably will be fine. Besides if your cold then you will make sure your warmer next time...

Eeyore48104:
I got certified at the end of April in a quarry in Ohio, diving wet in a 7mm suit. Water was 43 degrees (ice just off it) and I was "comfortable" (except for the shock when having to do mask clearing - OOOO!). Sun was out and little wind, but we dried off quickly and had LOTS of hot chocolate. (I was certifying with 3 Boy Scouts! Don't hassle me! ;-) )
I've been challenged to dive at Gilboa in a 3mm on 28 April 2006 - but may have to defer! >:)

NotsoKen - "www" = "Warm Water Wimps"???? *L*

Close, usually "Woosies" or "Weenies"

:wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom